ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
My worst nightmare

Very worrying. Despite traveling at low speeds our vehicles are very visible in daylight. I hope repairs will be possible but these rear end shunts can result in write offs. My thoughts are with the casualty, other passengers, driver and owner.

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/a47-blocked-after-car-and-bus-crash-1-5517428

Re: My worst nightmare

Indeed i second that. Its rm2151 if anyone wants to know

Christopher Dobbing
Very worrying. Despite traveling at low speeds our vehicles are very visible in daylight. I hope repairs will be possible but these rear end shunts can result in write offs. My thoughts are with the casualty, other passengers, driver and owner.

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/a47-blocked-after-car-and-bus-crash-1-5517428
Yes, Chris always a risk, we avoid motorways for this reason, and have additional lights at the rear on our RTs, that said driver of car bears the blame totally, what if the bus wax stationery in a jam? Nodoubt will be charged with careless driving. Robmay be able to the repair but parts running short!

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RM 1585, RMC 1458

As you say Chris our worst nightmare - hope no one was seriously hurt. There may possibly be enough bits to repair it still at PVS if the hulks are still in existence? Also regarding similar slow moving agricultural vehicles the law states “ Agricultural tractors with a maximum speed less than 25 mph must be fitted with at least one amber warning beacon when travelling on an unrestricted dual carriageway. A second beacon might be necessary on a high sided trailer.“ admittedly RM’s etc are slightly faster and a flashing beacon detracts from the atmosphere but if being forced to use motorways when other vehicles including 40 ton lorries are travelling at nearly twice the speed perhaps the use of even a discreet LED beacon would be prudent. The Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 13 (1) is s bit contradictory on the use of flashing beacons on moving vehicles but RVLR 27 states an exception that they can be ‘used when it is desirable to warn other people of the presence of a vehicle’ as often seen on oversize and slow moving loads etc.

My bus number (if any): RML2747

Graham, ,if the driver of the car that hit that RM couldn't see it in broad daylight an amber beacon would hardly have made any difference!

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RM 1585, RMC 1458

Brian, I totally agree with you and the car driver was obviously at fault, but I suspect the slower speed of the Routemaster may have caused him to catastrophicaly misjudge the situation as the majority of vehicles travel at much higher speeds nowadays. An amber beacon is now generally associated with slower moving vehicles and could possibly have helped prevent the disaster ?

No, Perhaps the car driver might have considered borrowing a brain for the day. Physically present and mentally absent. Most likely nearly all the time. The only thing he catastrophically misjudged was his ability to be in charge of a vehicle.

Very true Roy but assuming it was careless negligence, sadly as we know this breed of driver seems to be becoming far more common and given many also don’t even bother to use indicators and are unlikely to ever improve their skills, I am definitely fitting an additional temporary flashing beacon facility to both my vehicles for use on faster roads. After all the meticulous restoration work if it reduces the risk of a similar heartbreaking disaster by only a small amount it’s worth it it my book !

Look at the pretty lights Agnes, do you think they are having a disco on that bus?

My choice is either of these hung in the upper deck emergency window or preferably one up and t'other one down.

https://www.warmstrong.co.uk/shop/vehicle-safety/marker-boards-and-signage/marker-board-aluminium-4-slow-vehicle-bsau152

https://www.warmstrong.co.uk/shop/vehicle-safety/marker-boards-and-signage/marker-board-aluminium-4-slow-moving-bsau152

Hit from behind. Destroyed living van being towed and overturned Scammell. Driver seriously injured.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/hmvforum/monthly_2013_07/image.jpg.c4dce94ef4d8959da5941ca304165b5d.jpg

I was unfortunate enough to be on a broken down double decker on lane 1 of the M25 Dartford Bridge approach a couple of years ago - all passengers were brought to the front half of the bus to reduce the risk of injury, but it’s amazing how vulnerable you feel with the heavies thundering up behind you and seemingly leaving it extremely late or being unable to pull over due to other traffic, obviously not realising the bus was stationary - the speed limit is supposed to be 50mph on that stretch as well ! - The tunnel authorities eventually placed a protective marked vehicle behind with beacons and cones, stopped all traffic and closed the road completely before any passengers were allowed to exit the vehicle to board a replacement one.
The boards look a very reasonable investment Roy, Perhaps enhanced with amber LED repeaters fitted at each end to make them more noticeable to Agnes and her husband - hopefully they would slow down to look at the disco lights as well ?

One advantage the 'New Routemaster' has over the old other than speed, is that it has two staircases.

20% of car drivers are unfit to drive, I've found that whether driving my RM, driving my vintage Beetle, riding my bicycle and even walking.

Drove the bus along the A10 dual carriageway last weekend - terrifying the speed maniacs made it. Also had a car pull out point blank - 'sorry mate, didn't see you'!

It is not only preserved buses that travel slowly on A roads and motorways. In recent times my colleagues and I have driven the likes of Volvo B7's and Dennis Tridents on these roads when running light to rail replacement jobs and other garages. First Group used to set the speed limiters to between 30 and 37 mph. Not too much of a problem with other professional drivers, although a couple of times I saw a left hand drive artic in the mirror approaching a bit smartish. After dark it was best to put the interior lights on, or at least the offside ones, to make the bus stand out. The problem seems to be cars and vans who treat their vehicles as an extension of their front room or office, fiddling with mobile phones and various gadgets while driving. I remember the Quest tv programme about a heavy haulage firm, where a car hit the lorry's trailer when joining a motorway, The truck was a slow moving abnormal load carrying STGO Cat 1 plates and beacons and other high visibility stuff, so if the car driver did not see that what else can be done.

My bus number (if any): RT 1702 Society