ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: My worst nightmare

Look at the pretty lights Agnes, do you think they are having a disco on that bus?

My choice is either of these hung in the upper deck emergency window or preferably one up and t'other one down.

https://www.warmstrong.co.uk/shop/vehicle-safety/marker-boards-and-signage/marker-board-aluminium-4-slow-vehicle-bsau152

https://www.warmstrong.co.uk/shop/vehicle-safety/marker-boards-and-signage/marker-board-aluminium-4-slow-moving-bsau152

Hit from behind. Destroyed living van being towed and overturned Scammell. Driver seriously injured.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/hmvforum/monthly_2013_07/image.jpg.c4dce94ef4d8959da5941ca304165b5d.jpg

I was unfortunate enough to be on a broken down double decker on lane 1 of the M25 Dartford Bridge approach a couple of years ago - all passengers were brought to the front half of the bus to reduce the risk of injury, but it’s amazing how vulnerable you feel with the heavies thundering up behind you and seemingly leaving it extremely late or being unable to pull over due to other traffic, obviously not realising the bus was stationary - the speed limit is supposed to be 50mph on that stretch as well ! - The tunnel authorities eventually placed a protective marked vehicle behind with beacons and cones, stopped all traffic and closed the road completely before any passengers were allowed to exit the vehicle to board a replacement one.
The boards look a very reasonable investment Roy, Perhaps enhanced with amber LED repeaters fitted at each end to make them more noticeable to Agnes and her husband - hopefully they would slow down to look at the disco lights as well ?

My bus number (if any): RML2747

One advantage the 'New Routemaster' has over the old other than speed, is that it has two staircases.

20% of car drivers are unfit to drive, I've found that whether driving my RM, driving my vintage Beetle, riding my bicycle and even walking.

Drove the bus along the A10 dual carriageway last weekend - terrifying the speed maniacs made it. Also had a car pull out point blank - 'sorry mate, didn't see you'!

It is not only preserved buses that travel slowly on A roads and motorways. In recent times my colleagues and I have driven the likes of Volvo B7's and Dennis Tridents on these roads when running light to rail replacement jobs and other garages. First Group used to set the speed limiters to between 30 and 37 mph. Not too much of a problem with other professional drivers, although a couple of times I saw a left hand drive artic in the mirror approaching a bit smartish. After dark it was best to put the interior lights on, or at least the offside ones, to make the bus stand out. The problem seems to be cars and vans who treat their vehicles as an extension of their front room or office, fiddling with mobile phones and various gadgets while driving. I remember the Quest tv programme about a heavy haulage firm, where a car hit the lorry's trailer when joining a motorway, The truck was a slow moving abnormal load carrying STGO Cat 1 plates and beacons and other high visibility stuff, so if the car driver did not see that what else can be done.

My bus number (if any): RT 1702 Society