ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: MOT Exemption

I've been eagerly looking forward to today and was pleased to find that my suspicion that form V211 (the form declaring vehicles over 40 years old exempt) would not be updated on time was unfounded. However, vehicles must also not have been "substantially changed" and an example of something which is not a substantial change is replacement with "the same basic engine" of different cubic capacity. I don't think that can be said of our refurbs which don't have "the same basic engine" ie not an AEC. There is however a further example of "changes that were made when the vehicle was made commercially" which might fit. I think I'm going to have to get clarification unless anyone knows better....

My bus number (if any): RML2302

Thanks Roy, that's helpful. My bus is on Class 5 now. In theory I suppose they will update the form from 20 May but won't be surprised if that "slips through the net"....

Looking further in to this I see there is provision to "consult an expert" from the FBHVC for a view and that the expert can make a charge. I think the Association are members and I wonder if they can get a view for us all?

"....when the vehicle was USED commercially...." (I wrote it very early in the morning...) I think this exemption probably does fit our refurbs but it's not clear whether alternative engine or commercial alteration is an either/or ..

I think Mr Morgan will be the man to clarify the situation on behalf of the Association for all of us hopefully ? The re engines are similar in performance and capacity to the original spec and work in fundamentally the same way so I’d view that as a like for like replacement ?

My bus number (if any): RML2747

Thanks Graham - that was my thought too (about Andrew). I think the commercial use changes option is clearer but it depends if one case applying automatically rules out the other...

PS Exemption form is V112 not V211 ......

Hmmm ... after all my poring over guidance and taking advice re MOT exemption, I've just successfully taxed my bus online (no tax payable) in a couple of minutes and wasn't asked to make a V112 declaration or any questions about whether I had an MOT (which I don't have currently but intend to get voluntarily) .....

Apparently the DVLA database will show all eligible historic vehicles as MOT exempt but to remain so a V112 form must be filled in at the point of re-licencing otherwise the database will revert back to showing an MOT is required. This is to prevent eligible vehicle owners being prosecuted when they are entitled to MOT exemption but have been unable to
fill in a v112 form because the tax is not due. Also the Police have been informed that all pre 40 year old vehicles are exempt from MOT so not to take action against such owners. In the future it will be incumbent upon vehicle owners to declare their vehicles to be MOT exempt every time they need to re-licence it.

My bus number (if any): RML2551

Thanks very much for that Steve but I'm not sure how that affects me, or other people in my position, in practice as I am not a person who was unable to tax my vehicle at the changeover date. Is the information you've given us written somewhere or was it verbal advice you've had? (PS Hope to get to see you again in the near future)

Hi Brian
This comes from the Federation of British historic vehicle clubs after consultation with DVSA and is available on their website.The DVSA record shows all eligible vehicles as mot exempt until you tax it when you have to make the declaration yourself.If you do not declare the vehicle as mot exempt when you tax it you will be required to mot it.The only time you can make the declaration is when you tax it. This is to allow eligible vehicle owners a period of grace from when their vehicles became mot exempt on May the 20th to when the vehicle tax is due, after that it's up to you.
Hope to be at Croft for the Nostalgia weekend and would look forward to seeing you there if you are going.
Best wishes
Steve

My bus number (if any): RML2551