ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: RMC air suspension

There is a danger of bursting the bags if the bus is driven before the air has built up to inflate the airbags fully. With two tanks the buses take a lot longer to build up air as well.

Thanks Roy I think in the case of the owner we are trying to help that may be the case. He was stopped by the Police because his rear end was down so to speak :)

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458, RM 1585 and several RTs

The same as HGV trailers if they are pulled without the airbags inflated the rubber can get pinched and stressed when they go over bumps making holes in them and ruining the seals.

My bus number (if any): RML2747

Hello everyone.

I can confirm there is 2 air tanks and takes longer to get ready from scratch, on average mine takes about 30 mins.

There is 2 levelling valves, one for each side. There is either side a test valve for each one to check air is getting to them.

One problem i've found is the linkage arm which is made from either a fabric or rubber depending on the mods and either end can break meaning that valve cannot do its job and causing it to lean to one side.

I could do with a new pair of airbags for mine at some point.

My bus number (if any): RMC1490

Thanks Robert
I believe the shortage of spares for the RMC air suspension led to a lot of RMCs being converted to coil springs by LT when they re-purchased them from LCBS.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458, RM 1585 and several RTs