ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Indicator mounting plate

I am in the process of having a working prototype front (Ear) indicator body fabricated from a plastic resin material which would aesthetically look very similar to the original production but without all the complicated internal wiring and connections and am looking for a pair of mounting plates, can anyone point me in the right direction please

Thanks

My bus number (if any): RM 121’ 1174’ 2033’ 2619

Re: Indicator mounting plate

Not sure what you are going for, an integral body and /or rubber lens unit or the complete thing in resin? How will the rubber lens holder bolt onto a resin fixing or is this all to be moulded as well?

"The complicated internal wiring and connections" consists of two wires into a connecting plate and then two going onto a spring loaded bulb holder, that will make a connection if the lens unit is straight. That way if it gets hit it goes backward and stops working and the driver knows that and get out and straighten it.

How will the resin ones work, assuming they do not have this bend back facility ?

Rob Duker might have a indicator fixing bracket.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458, RM 1585 and several RTs

Hi Graham,

I had the 'ear' mounting plates recast last year. Exactly as per original equipment (cast, drilled/machined and hardened). Cost is £40.00 plus £3.95 postage per pair if you're interested? I think I have 5 pairs left.

Cheers,

Paul

My bus number (if any): RM597/RM1400

Hi Paul

This project is more of an experiment to see whether it is feasible to have the body of the trafficator made out of a resin material that would look similar to the original and still retain the fold back facility but using up to date fittings and wiring. I have a spare pair of unused rubber ears and know that the Routemaster association stock the orange lenses

Earlier this year I reverted RM 121s interior lighting back to light bulbs and had the light fittings made from the same resin material which has been a great success and much cheaper than aluminium ones, I know there are mixed feelings from RM owners about the ears but this is a personal choice thing.

. Would it be ok if I emailed you about purchasing the mounting plates and then take it from there.

Graham

Graham,

Of course! Email away!

Paul.

My bus number (if any): RM597/RM1400

Re the lense,
Andrew Morgan has previously said to me the association did source a company to produce them but they were not accepted due the quality the company produced, has this changed now as they are not on their website? I know they do the blanking plate and rubbers.

Are you making the moulds and casts yourself? I'm curious what resin you will be using for the casting and what shore hardness it is.
From having previously completely dismantled my indicators i can see the folding action part being a weak link and would have thought you would have hand to still have a brass tube insert to retain strength?

My bus number (if any): RMF2771

Hi Graham if the original style of folding mechanism can’t be incorporated and as the mouldings may well not survive an impact as well as the original metal ones, if they could be cheap enough to manufacture could they not be made with an embedded safety wire to prevent the loss of the valuable rubber ear section after a collision. This would enable a replacement, perhaps self coloured body to be refitted relatively easily ?Just a thought ?

My bus number (if any): RML2747

Thanks for the questions,

I have someone with a CNC machine who will be experimenting with different materials including a type of resin and assessing which one would be suitable for the project, obviously using up to date materials and fittings for the fold back mechanism, there is still a long way to go, but stress that this is a feasibility experiment.

I do know about about the batch of lenses the RMA had made and aware that they were substandard, but, I’m lead to believe that this could be resolved in the future,

Graham

Graham
Dave Simmons does refurbed indicator ears, he makes the donuts and rewires them using your old ones.
The RMOA does not stock the lens, but Rob Duker had some good ones for sale on here a wile back.

If anyone is interested I have the complete lens assemblies for the refurbed RML type,

Hi Brian

Thank you for the info, I have an RM & RML without ears, hence the project, I now have the rubber ears and the mounting plates, of course none of this will work without the lenses, so if Rob can contact me via email that would be great. there are some that would argue about going to such lengths, but I’m afraid when it comes to originality ( apart from the engine ) it’s worth exploring.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread.

Graham

Graham, If you are on Facebook, Rob can be contacted through Routemaster Restoration Ltd
Or look back at his postings on here and get his E mail address.

Can we some pics of 121 i used to work on her and i haven't seen her in years

Hi James
RM 121 had a full interior repaint in January this year and went back to original lighting, I’ll email you some progress/finished photos

Graham

Excellent

I used to operate RM120 and RM121 many years ago but it they had real light bulbs in those days.

My bus number (if any): RML2532

Hi Roy

I’ll email you a couple of photos if you like......... also if anyone is reading this thread, I still haven’t been able to locate any orange lenses for the front “ ear” indicators

Graham