ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Lifeguard rail saw

Try speaking to the owner of RM16; I believe that he has drawings as well.

My bus number (if any): RM1368

Lifeguard rail saw? They were called "emergency saws" Part No BX 10502. They were secured with a strap and a saddle bracket in the roof of the cab.
I always thought they were for the driver to get out of the cab. Not aware they were for use on lifeguards but that could have been a use.

They were withdrawn from use (as never used) and the saddle and straps removed from RTs, in 1965. Never took one off an RM so I assume they were removed at garages as well.
I remember we were told we could buy them from the Obsolete Stores for 2d when they were removed from stock. They could cut metal or wood, we had something similar for RT work, called an Enox saw, they could get into small spaces due to the blade shape, they looked a lot like a pruning saw.

Not sure at which point the fixings were not fitted from new, but would guess late RMs and all production RMLs didn't have them.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458, RM 1585 and several RTs

Hi Mark,

Hope you're well. I'll send you by email a the photo of the one in the cab of 597 as supplied and fitted by Dave Simmons. RM16 was parked next to it at the time and used as the pattern.....

Cheers

Paul

My bus number (if any): RM597/RM1400