ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Window Rubber

The company has not been changed.

My bus number (if any): RM1368

I've used the rubber on a few different RM/RML's with varying results, I sweated buckets hammering it in on one but the last time i used it (lower deck rear) it went in easy. There may be other factors to consider, what about atmospheric conditions, thickness of the glass (PSV glass is unquestionably thicker than original), paint on the window pan, build up of dirt in the channel or incorrect fitting. I had the the most problems on my first attempts.

Having said that i did have a 15-20 metre roll of original a few years back that did fit better, but not a lot better!

That is a very good point that Dave Simmons raises! The thickness of the replacement glasses.
I tried to use the correct sized rubber on RT windscreens (and RM ones) and it would not go in to the frame without force, it is the metric sized glass that is making the difference. I now use rubber strip to build up a good seal for the windscreens, not a solution however for the side windows...

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458, RM 1585 and several RTs

From my experience of different types of buses, I'd suggest that most window pans were all made by Widney. I recently partly restored a Weymann bodied Bristol. the owning group said they had a job finding window rubber. I took one look and produced a roll of RM rubber off the shelf which was almost identical.

A further search revealed a roll of similar rubber from Baines that I used for the RT side cab window and cab side window for RFW14. I've used that for some windows on our RML with no problems. It's slightly smaller section to the original RM rubber that came out of our bus and that may have shrunk a bit over the years.

I found the channels in all the Widney pans are the same, give or take a millimetre. It's the lip arrangement that varies.

As for glass, yes, the PSV glass is metric as it all glass these days, but window rubber ought to be able to cope with that. For windscreens I've used the same method as Brian, used flat strip bent to a u shape and tap everything in place with a mallet. But I'm afraid I've given up with the RMOOA rubber, it's too difficult for me to fit now that arthritis is setting in, the Baines stuff is far easier on my wrists!

My bus number (if any): RML2532

Following on from this we have had confirmation that the rubber is required, so we have asked for 50 metres from the RMOA but That was only ordered direct to David today.

We need this rubber for collection from the UK on 19 or 20 October, If the RMOA cannot supply by then, has anyone 50 metres we can have on account and pay back when the RMOA can supply?

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458, RM 1585 and several RTs