ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Troubleshooting Indicator problems

Discovered on a run from Gerrards Cross to Brent Cross, about an hour, only the front indicator is working on the drivers side. it ticks and flashes but only on the front, trying to indicate left, there is no noise, Back indicators have packed in all together. Any suggestions. Where is the flasher unit located? where are fuses. Have not had this problem before so this is all new to me. could be a common problem???

My bus number (if any): RCL2259

Re: Troubleshooting Indicator problems

The flasher unit is located behind the panel by your left ear as you it in the cab, all easily replaceable. Refurb or original set-up?

My bus number (if any): RML2532

Many Thanks. Bus is now in Brent Cross. I will check that out on Thursday when I'm due there for other work.

One more question please:

Since one is flashing on the front drivers side, is it likely the flasher that is at fault, i.e. does it half fail or is it a double unit?

While it has a 12.5 liter AEC engine, which you probably know about, the wiring is original as far as I know.

Check the bulbs on the N/S if original set up they are 12 v and if one fails neither will work. You may also have knocked the front lens back, so have broken the contact, that will also cancel the rear one.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458, RM 1585 and several RTs

Thank you

will test

Knocking the lens back would explain the failure on the left side. Wondering what would cause the failure just on the drivers side back but not front? Would lens knocking affect both rear lights?

To explain: Unlike some who are lucky enough to have their bus in their yard, I need to travel a bit. Trying my best to be well equipped for my next excursion on Thursday.

Am grateful for any suggestions, as I can hardly drive it as it is.

If the lens unit isn't straight it will not work, front and back.
Bulb failure back or front will stop the affected side working.
If the donut rubber on the indicator body has failed the lens will flap around. Bend it back and straighten it, sometimes the contacts stick.
Most likely problem other than that is you need new bulbs. Get the right ones. 12 volt two contact ones

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458, RM 1585 and several RTs

Thanks Brian

Very likely a failed contact or wire in the front swivel indicator assembly or very possibly detached wires in the indicator switch on the dash. If its the original type it could simply be wires snapping from the block or terminals.

This wiring is at an age where both the wire and the insulation has become very brittle and it does not take much for it to come loose or snap. Just engine vibration alone can really cause a lot of problems with the cab area wiring.

A few good cures. Heat shrink sleeving on multiple connecting wires helps reduce disturbance and bolsters the insulation.

A light spray of Jenolite Electrical contact cleaner on all exposed connections and a spray of silicone and plastic lubricant on all the wiring minimises the brittle wiring and plastic components and a small spray of WD 40 onto damp prone wires helps keep the corrosion at bay and lubricates.