ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Quarter drop window mechanism

Depends on a variety of factors. Certainly removing them by one slider side only with the set of screws, you will be able to clean out any hardened grease in the teeth.

When I reinstalled mine, I gave a drop of engine oil either side of the sliders to help them go up and down easier.

When you say they drop down, is it just one side or both?

Check the teeth also when the window is out that they have notbeen damaged, I've got a couple like this.

My bus number (if any): RMC1490

I know I have one in the upper Saloon that works its way down. I have 2 that have been removed for the serving window so hopefully will be able to salvage parts if needed.

I have never taken one apart but I guess it shouldn't be that difficult. I don't suppose any of these parts are being manufactured?

Thanks

My bus number (if any): RM2133

Edinburgh have fitted inward opening hopper style openers to their re roofed Routemasters which must be available if your not worried about authenticity ?

My bus number (if any): RML2747

Robert Thompson
Depends on a variety of factors. Certainly removing them by one slider side only with the set of screws, you will be able to clean out any hardened grease in the teeth.

When I reinstalled mine, I gave a drop of engine oil either side of the sliders to help them go up and down easier.

When you say they drop down, is it just one side or both?

Check the teeth also when the window is out that they have notbeen damaged, I've got a couple like this.
You don't have to take them out to clean them, but if you do keep hold of the screws as you cannot get them. At the bottom of the slide there is a hinged clip bend it down and that will allow the window to go down further allowing access to the caked grease in the cogs as Robert suggests,that might help, you can also clean up the window bar with a bit of wire wool while you are at it
Failing that, take them out and clean up the teeth in the top assembly. Unless the cogs or teeth are badly worn that should cure any slipping. The slides don't really need oil but a bit will not hurt.

It is hard to find drop lights now, you can get the glass but not the frames or bars very easily. Hoppers look just awful....

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458, RM 1585 and several RTs

I agree the hoppers don’t look right but this bus is being converted in to a ‘food truck’ on the other side of the World so will be far from original in many other ways so at least they’d be functional if they are worn beyond repair ?

My bus number (if any): RML2747

Really and truly Graham, drop lights should last for many years, I have RT ones downstairs that work just fine and are over 50 years since any attention was given to them
I cleaned hundreds of them on RTs and RMs at Aldenham and now here in France and it was always hardened grease causing the problems when they slip or the slides have worked loose. Give them a good wash out with turps on a stiff brush, works wonders!

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458, RM 1585 and several RTs