ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Rear spring conversion source

Rear shocks with air bags are lever arm type if I remember correctly. They were similar to those used on FX4 taxis but bigger. Telescopic rear shocks are available from PSV Partsmaster.

My bus number (if any): RML2532

Yes very Close Roy.

You are correct on the damper type.

Well after no luck in sourcing air bags to fit, I went to a company called Automint in Huddersfield who supplies every type of airbag you can possibly imagine except for AR110 as he believes the mould went missing when it was being moved from south wales back to the usa.

I did buy a type to try out at his recommendation but requires lots of adaptor parts to be specially made and whether it would perform correctly?

So today i've been to Barnsley and bought a set of rear springs and mounting plates.

Unfortunately the RMC will be going all spring but one benefit is I wont have to wait 30 mins for the air to build up in future from scratch!

My bus number (if any): RMC1490

Yes, the RMC had the standard RM compressor which was not designed to supply air for suspension at a rapid rate! Speaking from bitter experience of operating 462 for many yer, I'sd suggest you have a good look at the box section and floor strengthening plate at the back riser. They tend to crak up where the bus has been run with the air bags not inflated. It's quite a job replacing it, but I've done it a couple of times now.

We have someone in NW France who has to convert an RMC to coil springs> Apart from PSV is there any other source of rear coil springs and mounting plates? Are standard RM rear shocks suitable, and available for this project ?

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RMC 1458

There's a company i the west Midlands that can make vehicle coil springs. they recently made a set for the AEC GWR railcar at the K&ESR Railway. they used to be called Westwell Springs years ago but have been taken over a few times since i last used them.

I thought someone had some made Roy. I saw one on EBay the other day but it has gone. Can you get the Shock absorbers easily?

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RMC 1458

PSV Partsmaster had some rear shocks recently. I sold my last pair to Woods commercials recently.