ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Problems finding rear indicator bulbs

Located my indicator problem. (burnt bulb), Does anyone here know where I can order rear indicator bulbs for RCL2259?

Am I right these are 12 volt?

Thanks in advance.

My bus number (if any): RCL2259

Re: Problems finding rear indicator bulbs

In theory these are wired in series and 12volt 21 watt. In practice there are some buses which are not the same and require 24 volt 21 watt bulbs instead. You will have to take one out and read what is on the base. There is also a chance that the actual lamp takes a bulb with a single contact (pimple)rather than a double contact.

Look at pages 48 and 70

12v 21 w LLB382 single LLB335 double

24v 21w single LLB241 double LLB 291

These are standard automotive bulbs which should be in stock at any auto electrical supplier or a motor factor. Uprated heavy duty bulbs may have a slightly higher voltage marked on them.

http://www.lucaselectrical.co.uk/downloads/lucas-bulb-catalogue.pdf

Hi Robert
Yes in your bus they are the 12v type.
Text us your address I will send you a couple

Tom
From London Bus 4 Hire

Nothing quite like knowing the individual vehicle. A few weeks ago there was an enquiry elsewhere about a Trailer braking problem. The OP completely failed to mention that he was in Australia, where the braking system regulations are completely different. What he had fitted to his vehicle would have been illegal in the UK.

Very Odd problem. Thank you for your kind offer. Did find 12 volt bulbs with double connector as recommended on this forum.

Went I install the bulb in rear indicator space, front indicator starts working but rear one I just installed fails.

I disconnected the wires so I could touch them directly on to the connections on the bulb to test. Again when I connect the rear bulb the front one starts, but the back one does not light up. It is as if power is going through the bulb to close the circuit but not lighting the bulb. Any suggestions?

Fails = 1) bulb blows or 2)bulb is OK but doesn't work?
1 = bulb is either faulty or is getting 24 volts. 2 = faulty bulb, open circuit + or - or short circuit to another circuit. The negative goes back to the termnal block under the stairs.

roy
Fails = 1) bulb blows or 2)bulb is OK but doesn't work?
1 = bulb is either faulty or is getting 24 volts. 2 = faulty bulb, open circuit + or - or short circuit to another circuit. The negative goes back to the termnal block under the stairs.
Roy, thanks for your input. Sorry if I have not explained this very well.

1. First I discovered the rear bulb showed signs of being blown.

2. Removed burnt bulb.

3. Replaced with new bulb.

4. Front indicator starts flashing, but replaced bulb does not light up

5. Disconnect new bulb, front stops flashing

6. Remove wires going to bulb holder

7. Hold wires onto bulb terminals so we have wire 1 connected to bulb and bulb connected to wire 2

8. Front indicator flashes

9. Power is travelling through bulb but bulb is not lighting up

It is worth noting this was all working before and appears to have stopped due to burnt out bulb, a bulb which was brown inside and looked blown. Also I bought an extra bulb (x2) which I was told was 12 volt.Maybe they sold me a pair of the wrong bulbs, i.e. two 24 volt ?

My uneducated guess is that I might have 2 24 volt replacement bulbs. There is nothing on the bulb to say what volt it is. They could be mixed up easily Maybe they sold me the wrong bulb. What do you think?

Do you happen to know the ordering specs for the 12 volt 2 pin bulbs and somewhere to order them from? The ones I got were in a car spares shop.

Did find specs above. Its been a while.

If you got the bulbs from a car shop, i suspect they aer 12 volt. Change both bulbs for new 12 v bulbs and see what happens. If both work then you're ok. If not try 2 new 24v bulbs.

My bus number (if any): RML2532

IIRC the physics then if there is one 12 volt 21 watt bulb and one 24 volt 21 watt bulb in this circuit then the wattage and amps for the 24 volt bulb will be so low that you will not notice it is illuminated in an interrupted in series supply. It will however complete the circuit and allow the 12 volt bulb to light. Again IIRC If you swap the front and irear bulbs over then you will transfer the 'fault' to the other end of the vehicle.