ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Repairerr/Testing of Air & Hydraulic Componants (Lockheed & Clayton)

Does this company do accumulators Michael?

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458, RM 1585 and several RTs

Brian.

Mr J Massey is one of the company directors of this establishment whom I spoke to this morning. He informed me that they entertain the repair and testing of hydraulic components including bus accumulators of Lockheed and Clayton manufacture.

Then came the sting in the tail.

He then quoted that legislation requires accumulators over a service life of 10 years be subject to what is known as stretch testing, which is a form of a internal high pressure testing.

I subsequently contacted the well known repairer Messrs Hebble Hydraulics of Wakefield Uk for their opinion. Seven hours later I am still awaiting their response.

I have not contacted Imperial Engineering of Hertfordshire

The main question arising from this is, are Routemaster vehicle codes affected by this legislation.

I will keep you and the RM fraternity informed of any further progress.

My bus number (if any): Ex LTE Bus Engineering

I suppose it would make sense as steam loco boilers require thorough testing every 10 years and they "only" work at up to 250psi. However steam escaping at that pressure can and will kill people with the ensuing explosion (and has in recent years killed people in the USA and India).

There is not to my knowledge any requirement for road vehicle pressure vessels to be pressure tested under RTA legislation. The inspection manual says a visual inspection for signs of leakage and corrosion.

I've been near a couple RM foot valves that have exploded. Luckily I was in the cab at the time, but hydraulic oil at about 2000 psi goes a long way!

My bus number (if any): RML2532, BEA MLL721, BEA MLL738, GS67, RT2629

Michael Ican assure you that Hebble pressure test all Accumulators that they repair or re- construct.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458, RM 1585 and several RTs

My apologies Mr Watkinson for not replying sooner to your post of.8th January.

Yes Messrs Hedley Hydraulics carry out repairs and testing to all things hydraulic and issue a test certificate.

Another company has appeared on the scene who wish to be considered as a repairer and tester for Routemaster brake accumulators.

Their website mentions site services.

Contact details:-
Mr Roger Taylor.
Cylinder Service Centre Ltd
Sedling Road.
Washington.
Tyne & Wear.
NE38 9BZ.
Phone:- 0191416 6288

My bus number (if any): Ex LTE Bus Engineering. AMIRTE. CPC-HGV