ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
York Rd Battersea

Sometime in 1991 I recall servicing and fitting a clutch to a Ford Cargo in the yard at this much redeveloped location next to Battersea Heliport. At the time the bus stop was in a slightly more westerly location just before Bridges Court. All day long very noisy RMs, which I assume were Leylands, were using the bus stop. Having searched various sites and maps since I can find no trace of RMs having used this section of road at this time. I didn't imagine it so can anyone enlighten me which route they would have been on and from which garage?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/London+Heliport/@51.4683189,-0.1801699,125a,35y,90h,45t/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0xfba361803ebf1788!8m2!3d51.469454!4d-0.1785625

Re: York Rd Battersea

Are you sure it was 1991?
There wouldn`t have been any Leyland RM`s around by then. And not many RM routes either. I don`t think that section of York Road towards Wandsworth had an RM operated route using it in many years prior to 1991.
Had it been a few years earlier, the 49`s using nearby Falcon Road to and from Clapham Junction would have been a likely candidate for hearing Leyland noise as both Streatham and Merton garages had some.

Thanks Neil,

I am reasonably sure it was post 1990. To be truthful unlike childhood days I only had a passing interest in buses back then. In 1987 or possibly '88 I was however surprised to see Cummins and Iveco badges on RM grilles when approaching Putney Bridge on the way to 'the hard' for the annual eights Head of the River, so maybe I am wrong with subsequent thoughts about Leyland engines and more interested than I assumed.

I worked for the same company as a mobile fitter from 1987 - 1993/4 so it was definitely in that time frame. I have managed to check from photos which show the reg of my new van to be F60 RPX which means it cannot have been earlier than 1988. My trips into London were thankfully not frequent because a London always meant a very long day travelling.

I have wondered about this many times in recent years and cannot come up with an answer. I am adamant about the location to within 100 yards since I could see the helicopters behind the building, also the bus stop was right outside. Between the buses and the helicopters the noise level became increasingly aggravating. What was noticeable is that this seemed to be a frequent service: ie 15 mins headway with occasionally two buses stopping. The location is however west of Falcon rd and Battersea Bridge which does not tie in with 19, 49 or even 28 unless on diversion nor do the RM operating dates according to Alan Armstrong's site.

I suppose this leaves a diverted route, or one I had not thought about, but which one? a Wandsworth Bridge routing? Returning to engines, of the three re-powers Scania would seem to me to be the noisiest externally, but I think they are out of time frame in the opposite direction.

Route 44 used to go along York road, Wandsworth-London Bridge about that time. the 295 was "local" as it came over Wandsworth Bridge, left along York road then right up one of the roads that went under the railway to Clapham Junction, but that went to DMS operation very early on. I'm not sure when the 44 went over to 'box bus" operation.

Maybe look on Ian Armstrong's bus route website for details? He lists all bus routes and changes, allocations etc.

My bus number (if any): RML2532

Just checked Ian's site, the 44 went from Rt to DMS operation in 1972, the 295 went from RM to DMS around the same time.

Maybe what you heard were the Sightseeing tour RMs that came out of Wandsworth Garage? They used to go along York Road to get to Mictoria. there was also the Maybury's RM sightseeing fleet based down Garratt Lane, they would also use York Road.

I agree with Roy Gould, only bus routes on that road were never Routemaster operated, both 44 and 170 went straight from RTs to DMS operation and the 295, extended along York Road in 1975 used DMSs also.

By 1991 WD was the Sightseeing base and would have used RMs RCLs etc, but would not have used the stop.....

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458, RM 1585 and several RTs

Thanks for the replies so far. Having had a ponder I am left with what are categorical facts, location and Routmasters, and what is less certain - the exact time frame and which vehicle I was driving. The vehicle is really irrelevant, I was there some time during my period of employment with the company which I can fix to a few months.

Having had another trawl through Ian's website and related it to one of Matthew Wharmby's most helpful books which gives dates for RM route withdrawals, I can see only one possible scenario that fits. It is a long shot but I suppose possible that if there was some reason buses could not use Wandsworth Bridge, then Route 28 which was RM operated at the time may well have diverted along York rd.

Can't find anything about Wandsworth bridge being closed or buses diverted, but i'd have thought they would have gone over Putney Bridge rather than Battersea Bridge if that had happened.

There were massive diversions in Putney when RMs were running on the 28 due to a water main burst or replacement at the junction of Putney Bridge road and Putney High street with some buses diverted over Wandsworth bridge, others Hammersmith bridge.

Only other possibility was you heard the RLST buses that were ex Northern General RMLs provided by Obsolete Fleet and Ted Brakell going up to Victoria.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458, RM 1585 and several RTs

Could this have been around the time that Battersea Bridge was shut after being rammed by a barge? I don't mean the 2005 ramming, there was definitely one in the very late 80's/early 90's which could have meant the 19 being diverted over Wandsworth Bridge. Anyone with a LOTS mag collection could probably help as I seem to remember the diversion/curtailment alteraions changing monthly.

Steve

My bus number (if any): Nil

That could make sense as both garages that supplied the 19`s had Leylands. Neither garage that worked the 28`s did. But it would need to be well before 1991 as Leyland RM`s had gone by then.

A quick internet search reveals this information on the matter of the 2005 Battersea Bridge jobby, the equivalent of taking a decker under a low bridge! No information online about any other bridge collision.
https://www.salisburyjournal.co.uk/news/2000361.Bridge_crash_barge_captain_cleared/