ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
In snow at Putney Heath

A selection of vehicles at The Green Man terminus on Putney Heath 11 December 1981.

I don`t think any 93`s were scheduled to turn around here but with the weather conditions as they were it would be no surprise to find a late running 93 cut short from reaching Putney Bridge Station.

I recall these pictures being taken at the start of the evening rush hour and I also clearly recall how very cold it was with the snow from the previous night still evident. Can`t imagine why a driver would leave the cab heater on but also leave the cab door open.

Funny how we seem to accept now that when it snows, buses stop running. During my time on LT we just got on with it. Maybe RM actually stood for `reliable machine`. So much for progress - and the risk adverse culture we seem quick to embrace now. Just three miles from where these pictures were taken is Wimbledon Hill on the 93`s that probably had as much snow there too but buses managed it. RM 1067 is behind RM 1329.

Re: In snow at Putney Heath

Your excellent photos do not disappoint. Thanks for recording these and other scenes, it must have cost a fair bit for film and developing but the results are miles better than modern digital. I think the seventies livery was the best for Routemasters with the white band and bonnet numbers along with the brightwork, it made the RM a purposeful looking bus. I suppose it goes back to being "an attractive piece of street furniture, pleasing to the eye" to quote Mr C. In defence of the modern situation where buses don't always get through the snow, some of the up to date buses are none too friendly in snow and ice, sliding all over the place, can't get up hills etc. Anyway look forward to seeing more of your pics.