ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
RMC for sale.

We need to clear some space and move buses from a part of the garage area that that is earmarked for development.

To enable this we are selling an RT and considering selling our former Bow X15 red RMC 1458.

The RMC has an EN 62 AEC engine with a DPA pump, it was driven from NW France to Clermont-Ferrand but then suffered frost damage, so the engine needs work. It has been partially stripped the cylinder heads etc are in good condition and no obvious signs of damage.

It starts but water gets into the sump very quickly, and we haven't the time or the parts to get the engine fixed in France. It would have to go back to the UK for repair.

Body wise it is reasonably tidy, sun faded red paint. it has a few RMC seat frames, but far from a full set. From itys time on the X15 it has hand rails the length of the lower saloon

We have received an offer for it in France. They propose to convert it to a static home or holiday home, so for us that would be ideal, BUT !! I would rather it went back to the UK as in France it is just a Routemaster, but in the UK one of a few surviving RMCs.

The price would be in the region of f £14,000.
NB The bus cannot be driven, so would have to be towed to the UK which would cost around £4-5k.

Please let me know by E mail if you or anyone you know is interested in purchasing the bus.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458, RM 1585 and several RTs

Re: RMC for sale.

Quick update

Subject to finalising the details, the bus has been sold. It will be returned to the UK for restoration :)

Thanks for the interest shown.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458, RM 1585 and several RTs

Brilliant

AS some of you may already know, RMC 1458 returned to the UK yesterday. We look forward to seeing its full restoration. If anyone has any RMA, RCL or RMC seat frames I am sure the new owner would be pleased to hear from you.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RM 1585 and several RTs

As a matter of interest what are the differences between a standard seat frame and those fitted to the RMC variety. I assume shorter legs for the deeper cushions.

My bus number (if any): RM158 & RML2460

No upright poles on coach version.

My bus number (if any): RML2532

No Mark the opposite!
The feet are the same, the side rails are about 3" inches higher than the standard RM to accommodate the thicker cushion and none have stanchions. You can see the seat frame clearly above the waist rail.

Shorter feet would have been not be a big problem Mark, growing the sides is :)

So i assume they were swapped to just standardise the fleet with the same cushions then?

My bus number (if any): RM158 & RML2460

Not sure I understand you. The RMC seats on the conversions for the X15 were covered in standard RM moquette, they were not swapped for standard RM seat frames. The squabs are different as well having a deeper fitting piece to accommodate the deeper cushion. So in summary nothing on the RMC seat is standard RM.

The seat springs are the same. :)

My bus number (if any): RML2532

No they are not Roy. To accommodate the larger cushion they are much deeper and many are made of fibre glass.
If you mean in the seats the horse hair used came only from country area bred horses.... :)