ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Accumulator Problem

After a bouncing 'Stop' flag problem and after a recent service and accumulators charged, it was brought to my attention that the rear Clayton type accumulator needed replacing/repairing. I contacted Imperial Engineering but they couldn't help and am currently waiting for a quote from Hebble Hydraulic Services Ltd who say there is no point in sending the old accumulator to them as they are not repairable but might be able to supply a different type which would need new brackets and pipework. I assume other bus owners have had this problem and would be interested in their experience and any suggestions/contacts as would like to get the bus back on the road, soon.
Thanks, Alan

My bus number (if any): RML2672

Re: Accumulator Problem

Start with an enquiry to the RM association to see what they know about this modification which has been around for a good 8 years. Ensign have at least one bus with this mod, however whether theirs were Clayton or Lockheed systems I don't know. I Suggest you contact Rob Duker at Routemaster Restoration in St Neotts who would be the closest acknowledged RM repairer to Lincolnshire. If you only change the accumulator/s brackets and pipework I don't see a problem but if the nine way valve, and the low pressure sensors and microswitches are replaced with other components then that will almost certainly be a notifiable alteration.

Thank you, Roy

Hebble have changed their policy then! They have always repaired RM torpedo ones. Even if the tube needed replacing

If you do a search for accumulator on here there are two more firms who do them that Michael Langley has found and there is also Martin Detheridge who is on 07534 904650

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458, RM 1585 and several RTs

I have the Clayton (round football) type. Hebble say these were welded at manufacture and non-repairable. Maybe the torpedo type (Lockhead?) are still repairable. Thanks Brian

I think Hebble WILL still repair the Lockheed type Alan. I visited them a few years ago and they said they could replace the barrels if they were too worn which seemed a good idea for a long term solution. The price was very reasonable.

My bus number (if any): RML2302

I didn't realise you have the footballs, they may not be repairable, talk to Martin. He will will know the best thing to do with those.
There are also the Titan type but the threads are different so beware if changing types.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458, RM 1585 and several RTs

Alan, I've made this change on RMF2771,

Quite easy really, the only pipe work change required was a short length of flexi hose to go from the fitting type on the accumulator to the bus's existing pipe work - mine was about 20cm long for each I think. Pirtek did this for me onsite (convenience over price)
As for the bracket, the new accumulators are more barrel barrel shaped, so i have 2 bands that wrap around the tank and tighten with a bolt on each, these are welded to a standoff which bolts into the original mounting holes in the chassis.
If I remember correctly, these were supplied by Graham Smith (I think he is on here) for about £60 the pair, he previously had some made by a blacksmith/fabricator for this own bus.

I'm popping upto my bus this afternoon I'll try to remember to take photos / dig out the original photos from installation.

My bus number (if any): RMF2771

Thanks Matt, and all for your help. Much appreciated.