ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Route 279 destination blinds

In short, my RM spent it's last years in service at the now gone Edmonton Tramway Avenue bus garage. It worked the 279 route Smithfield - Waltham Cross. Also route 279A on Sundays. I would like to acquire a set of destination blinds for the 279/279A route to fit to my bus. Anyone have a set in their attic? Please email me if you can help.

John

My bus number (if any): RM108

Re: Route 279 destination blinds

I think you`ll find that RM 108 spent its last few years at Elmers End Garage working on Route 12. I can see why you might think that the garage code ED could be Edmonton - but it isn`t !

It was the association with Elmers End Garage which prompted Harry Prew-Smith to buy the bus and have it restored. Ted Price, who had worked at Elmers End, maintained that it was at one time that garage's Show Bus. IIRC he either managed to find and install an offside route number winding gear or converted an under-canopy gear and fitted that. Many of the pictures of the bus have it with route 12 blinds, destination Elmers End Garage. I can clearly recall Harry's delight on the day he came to collect the bus when Ted produced and fitted the correct late-period nearside mirror to complete the image Harry wanted.

Thanks for the information. What then was the garage code for Edmonton Garage I wonder.

If someone has an original set of London Transport 279 blinds, I'd still be intrested in acquiring them.

John

My bus number (if any): RM108

Edmonton Garage was EM. It wasn`t a garage that had Leyland RM`s allocated.

EM was edmonton

So Edmonton was EM then..

My bus number (if any): RM158 & RML2460

ED was only used for edmonton when London suburban bus used the code for the base not far from north circur road for opo buses on route 4,41,271 and N6 till 1996 when the routes moved to HT and 41 was surrrended to Cowie Leaside and N6 moved to Metroline.