ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
IVECO Flywheel seal

Anyone have any idea of the seal between the engine and flywheel on an IVECO powered RML, or a part number? Is it, as I have been told a paper joint??

The IVECO Engine model would be a start! Thanks

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RM 1585 and several RTs

Re: IVECO Flywheel seal

More info, it isn't the engine flywheel joint !! It's the joint in the flywheel which is the original spec. The paper joint was damaged during during topping up and has "Coopers" on it. Anyone any ideas please as to a supplier of a replacement

There isn't a joint to be disturbed when topping up the flywheel. One merely undoes a bung. Coopers make vehicle filters.
There is a joint between the flywheel and the crankshaft and another periphery joint between the two halves of the flywheel. There is also a joint between the Llewellyn gland and the flywheel bowl. None of these would be damaged topping up.

Thanks Roy, I now gather it's the flywheel gland that is leaking. Any ideas on that?

Thanks

Up until yesterday I would have said unobtainium, but chatting to the DVSA tester at my local ATF It came up that one of his colleagues had failed a single deck RM, which I think he said was presented by LB&T, because the gland dripped oil on the testers head. He reckoned there is a seal manufacturer in Dartford who can supply or make the internals of a LLewellyn gland. For MOT time if the gland leaks there is nothing to stop you fitting a drip tray to the engine crossmember with a drain bung in it. If presented with a drip tray which has been drained and clearly is not going to overflow, then the vehicle must pass.

Thanks Roy the bus is in constant use, so will be trying the drip tray whilst trying to get a replacement gland. Not sure that company yet makes Llewellyn gland seals, they supply accumulator seals, but Imperial are trying to get the seals made as that it the part that causes all the problems. Will know more on Monday.

Imperial listed Llewellyn glands on their website recently. I may have decent 2nd hand one if that's any help.

My bus number (if any): RML2532

Thanks Roy, only just seen this, It became urgent and Imperial are sorting out a refurbed one for us and I understand are getting the seals made for refurbishing others.