ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Original CAV Lamp Rubber Gaskets

The gaskets on both the round and oblong indicator lamps on my CAV lamps are getting tired and starting to disintegrate through age as I expect many others are, as I doubt anyone has any NOS that they are willing to part with perhaps it’s something that the Routemaster Association could look at remanufacturing ? (Unless anyone knows of a supply of course)

My bus number (if any): RML2747

Re: Original CAV Lamp Rubber Gaskets

Look on Ebay or Amazon for 1, 1.5 or 2mm sheet rubber 200x200mm. Make your own with scissors and a hole punch. The same applies to foam rubber with or without adhesive one side.

Thanks for that Roy that is my fall back option but as the originals have a bespoke slot and cup to hold the round glass in a water tight seal and the rear indicator gaskets are formed to a bevelled edge I was hoping to get hold of the proper replacements if possible.

My bus number (if any): RML2747

Graham
go with Roys idea as no where has these

My bus number (if any): RM1000.RCL2238 plusothers

I'll go and ask the Routemaster Association .....

Yes, they did investigate these, but they were going to be over £30.00 each for a reasonable sized batch (and this was over 15 years ago, and each vehicle requires five of them) and there was limited interest anyway so nothing further happened.

Perhaps owners would be interested now and this should be investigated again ?

My bus number (if any): RM1368

I suppose many of the surviving Routemasters have various lamp arrangements at the rear so any production run would have limited demand sadly - I wonder how many went in the skip along with other ‘obsolete’ spares when the buses came off service ? - I’ll order up some rubber sheet and get my scissors out ! - Many thanks for the replies

My bus number (if any): RML 2747