ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
EURO 6 conversion

I understand that RM 1005 has been converted to meet EURO 6 emissions standards.
We have been asked what this would entail, and likely cost, for converting an RML with Cummins engine to meet Euro 6 standards as this owner wants to work in city centres where it is envisaged standards will become much more strict for commercial operations.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RM 1585 and several RTs

Re: EURO 6 conversion

Why don't you ask Peter Hendy?

Could do, just wondered if any other owners are thinking of doing this.......and had looked into it.

It's not possible to convert the Cummins to euro 6. Any euro 6 has to have electronic fuel injection and the like. I'd suggest you are looking at maybe £20k at least, maybe £30k.

I do know the cost of converting modern double deckers such as the with euro4/5 engines is around £17k just for the exhaust system. Dean Sullivan of Sullivan Buses is converting his fleet at the rate of one a week. And the bus is off the road for a week for conversion. Not only is it the exhaust, but the ADblue tank and equipment, electronics that go with it etc.

My bus number (if any): RML2532

Thanks Roy, it wasn't a conversion of an existing engine they were talking about, it was to have a bus compliant with Euro6 standards. Does anyone know who did the RM 1005 installation?

Brian - The actual conversion project to make it all work was apparently contracted out by Cummins at Wellingborough to a chap my mate met at a rally by chance but sadly didn’t get his contact details. Perhaps either Cummins or Peter Hendy could help put you in the right direction ?

My bus number (if any): RML 2747

Thanks Graham, I'll try Cummins and perhaps Peter.

Brian

I'll dig out the details for you, but Cummins seems to have lost interest in the project around 12 months ago despite potential orders for around 20 units at this time.

Andrew

My bus number (if any): RM1368

I would imagine there are numerous problems with space to put things. A euro VI silencer is not exactly small, then there is the adblue tank to mount as well. Under the bonnet there will be problems with the sheer heat generated by a euro six engine which requires much greater airflow around it. Viz how the height of lorry cabs has increased lately.

Once it is done the problems start with nox sensors and adblue dosing units. The only way forward for euro VI is with a full R&M contract. The amber engine management warning light will be almost permanently on.

Roy - have a look at RM1005. It is a very neat installation and has been running now for 3 years. From what I understand it even surprised Cummins and it has driven to Hannover and all over the UK with no major issues.

I wrote an article on it back in 2016 and poked my camera in various places under it that I was not meant to look !

It is possible and a lot more is possible.

Bear in mind that the Original Routemaster brief was long before it was made a green light project. Their was room for the possibility of it being a Trolleybus, it was to be versatile. Obviously at a very early stage the tide turned on that one but the chassisless concept was part of that brief of versatility that did stay intact right from the initial brief.

It might cost a fair bit but an Electric RM is quite possible now that transmission and motors have evolved and the lightweight but robust RM could manage the equipment.
If and MGB and Triumph Herald can perform as well as a Tesla then so should an RM. It's who has the deepest pockets to find the way.

What gets me is the eternal secrecy with which projects which are indulgences of what is now almost a hobby level, still exist.

It's only a bus. It's only a vehicle and only a bit of engineering.

That a problem can be solved and a solution found is something of a triumph of engineering and this should be celebrated and certainly used to inspire future engineers.

It's what this nation has excelled in for generations. Innovation and problem solving. Managing, Marketing, negotiating and developing less so.

So why the continuing secrecy from some sources ? It's a very small niche and from small niches shared ideas and know how come great solutions and innovations.

Very sad that this culture still lives on in the UK, dividing and dragging it down, whether its a pastime or big business.

I'm not sure where the suggestion of secrecy comes from Jack.

We know who did the conversion, how it was done and what was involved, it just seems the sub-contractor Cummins used is reluctant to do any more at at least give a quote for doing them.

Why? no-one is obliged to give a quote for doing a job, Cummins and the contractor simply may not want to be involved in the project any longer. Having done the job the decision may well have been "never again". Far better to refuse to quote than to try to price oneself out of contention and then suffer the twittering classes damaging one's reputation with their predictable: "scandalous overcharging, could be done for less than half that amount".

You could be correct, but why not say so, or at least that the project is not available, rather than not responding to enquiries ? Not very good customer relations for a company the size of Cummins, or is this market just not worth worrying about as it is too small ?

As you say, it is a neat conversion with the ad blue tank on the nearside behind a budget lock flap, and the exhaust utilising the offside life guard space. Under the bonnet it is a work of art the way it has been done. In the cab, there are some strange gauges telling you various things. I don't particularly like the organ accelerator pedal, but I guess this is the ''drive by wire'' type. I understand that 1005 has had a new gearbox fitted by Allison, don't know which type. I took this bus to what was left of Yeading test centre to be certified as a Euro 6, and the Ministry man was impressed.

I remember RM 1562 with it's Euro 3 engine and different Allison gearbox,(270?). This also had an organ accelerator. Nice bus. Very popular on the 13 and 9H. What happened to that bus? I hope it is still around.

Rm1562 aka bessie is with henry cooper coaches