ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Another RM engine combination

One of my clients in Germany has been getting through AEC engines like they're going out of fashion and indded has found that out having blown up the 4th engine in as many years. He sold the bus on to someone else who tried to get spare like liners and pistons. He's now given up and has decided to fit an MAN engine because spares are relativley easy to get in Germany.

I can't remember the bus fleet number and don't know what MAN is being used, but I had a call from the engineering shop doing the conversion the other day. He told me it's an older traditional engine that has been modified to fit the rM, it's been wound down to idel at about 500rpm and he's followed my advice not to let it go beyong 1800rpm. Had the rest of the bus been maintained at all then I could have suggested a higher top speed considering the work they do.

Our man has managed to make an adaptor to keep the original fluid flywheel; the original power steering pump has been modified to drive off a pulley and belts at the front of the engine. Work is nearly complete and he said he'll send some photos of the work when it's done.

Sound interesting...

My bus number (if any): RML2532

Re: Another RM engine combination

The five and six cylinder MAN D2865 /2866 engines develop in the region of 800 - 1200lbft of torque, way over the input limit for an RM transmission, even rpm restricted it will still have the same issue. The much smaller D0824 4 cylinder engine would make the most suitable transplant from an output standpoint, but I doubt they have gone for it.

We would be interested to know more information .... what type/where is it etc.

It would make a good article if we can get the information.

My bus number (if any): RM1368

No, I don't know what engine they've used. I can see a market for half shafts and gearboxes for the next few years. :)

Marc Adam, the owner of the company that done this modification has kindly sent me 3 short videos of the bus, RM1555, with the MAN engine running. He has given permission to put the videos on the RM group on Facebook which I have now done.

If I knew how to post video links on here I would copy them to here.

This may work, here is the link:

https://www.facebook.com/roy.gould.18/videos/pcb.2539015996175888/10206244390826083/?type=3&theater&ifg=1

(copy & paste it to your browser)

My bus number (if any): RM1368

Try this link as well

https://www.facebook.com/roy.gould.18/videos/pcb.2539015996175888/10206244390826083/?type=3&ifg=1&__tn__=HH-R&eid=ARC_GQNsX0jLzMQw02nYxh37nEfZB6ihBYqUdP9ZE1l2s1Vf1vZXQDTtxw9Buv2eiip2HAVqVJeUlO7d

Sadly it seems that you have to have a Facebook Account to see the clips unlike the ones on the Association's site ?

My bus number (if any): RML2747