ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Iveco Engine Question

OK, here is an update on this saga: I have a replacement Iveco en-route to me, I plan to pull the head on the current engine once the new one is fitted, if it is a head gasket I will see if the one I have is correct and replace it. The engine worked well before it started to miss and spew smoke out the breather and oil out the dipstick.

If the head gasket is the obvious problem I will try to sell it as a complete engine, if not I will keep all the externals for spares.

On an aside- does anyone have a contact with Absolute Charters?

My bus number (if any): RM2133

Hi Lorne I’m not sure how long you intend to operate your bus but given the rarity of good replacement Iveco engines (possibly more in Canada) would it not be prudent to retain the old engine in case of further failure as I doubt the replacement will be a brand new engine ? Just a thought.....

My bus number (if any): RML2747

Thanks Graham.

The replacement engine was reconditioned in 2011, we do no more than 1000 kilometers a year so am hoping it out lives me. Aside from the fact that I really have no place to store the old beast.

I think if it is truly unserviceable it will be scrap metal as it price prohibitive to try and refurbish here and costs a fortune to ship across the "pond", however I am more than happy to sell it as-is

My bus number (if any): RM2133