ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Brake Drums

My brake drums are reaching the outer limits for allowable wear and I will need to replace them all at some point in the future. Due to the high costs of shipping, it is better for me to get an entire set, however, having just replaced the engine which I had shipped from the UK it is taxing our "budget"

I currently have on rear drum that is .5cm over limit so I am hoping to find one usable drum to get us through this year's safety?MOT inspection to later next year when the bank account is bigger and I can get them all replaced.

Does anyone know of one?

My bus number (if any): RM2133

Re: Brake Drums

Best to buy new, at least they'll last a long time. You can fit ocersize rollers on the brake shoes to take up a lot of the wear. Standard size is plain, 1st oversize has one groove round it, 2nd standard has 2 grooves.

Set up the brakes as per the manual and they should do you for a while.

My bus number (if any): RML2532

Best people for brake shoes and drums for RMs is

The Brakehouse Ltd
Brake shop in Perivale, England
Address: Unit7 Bizspace 6 Wandsworth Road,
Perivale UB6 7JJ,
United Kingdom
Phone: +44 20 8998 4009

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RM 1585, RML 2667 and several RTs

The Brakehouse has moved. AFAIK the phone number is the same.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions- like I said I just shelled out a ton for re-fitting a new engine and need something to hold me over until I can get all new.

I have been in touch with the Brake House and am awaiting a quote from Terry.

Also, we never carry passengers and only do about 1000 km per year

My bus number (if any): RM2133

Hello Brian

Please update your records for the retail supplier of brake drums:-

Mr T Stopps (Proprietor)
The Brake House.
12, Rigby Lane.
Hayes. Middlesex.
UB3 1ET
UK
Phone:- +44 020 8998 4009
Fax:- 020 8998 0510

My bus number (if any): Ex LTE Bus Engineering. AMIRTE. CPC-HGV

roy
The Brakehouse has moved. AFAIK the phone number is the same.
Their registered office has changed but I don't think the factory has. The address above is the only one showing for them.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RM 1585, RML 2667 and several RTs