ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: diesel pollution, carbon emissions and bus longevity

No problem Sam, but they are my personal comments not those of the firm I work for or any organisation etc.

Regards

Jack

Thank you Jack. Some fascinating stuff here, and a useful long perspective. I'd love to use some of your comments in a blog on this issue, if you were happy with that...

My bus number (if any): WLT 737 WLT 875 353 CLT

Do Wurth oil additives work?

My bus number (if any): 2259

With the relatively low mileages our preserved buses do, it's difficult to tell what effects any of these additives have.

One of the other point comparing the AEC or Leyland engines against modern engines is that the old engines idle at about 360rpm. Most modern diesels idel at about 850 rpm, so they must be using far more fuel idling!

I had a conversation the other week about the Nederlands Government wanting to introduce a blanket 100km/h speed limti on motorways, having recently raised the limits on some roads to 130km/h from 120 to increase the flow of traffic. there's been no increase in the accident rates on those roads. So when this lates proposals were put, my view is that 130kmh your vehicle will use fuel for an hour to travel 130km. At 100km/h, to travel 130 km will take about 1 hr 20 min, so it will be polluting for 20 minutes longer. It my produce slightly less pollution t the slower speed, but surely the 2 will balance out. Plus the additional congestion caused by going slower will mean everything polluting for longer.

The simply way to cut down pollution on older vehicles is the make sure the valves and guides are good, and the pump and injectors are overhauled. Also make sure the pump timing is spot on. All those things will cut down an awful lot on pollution levels.

My bus number (if any): RML2532

Thanks Jack. Please remind me of your role(s) at London Transport.

My bus number (if any): WLT 737 WLT 875 353 CLT

Interesting and thought provoking post Sam and some excellent replies too.

This is a subject that I think will become more and more talked about as the whole low emissions subject filters its way into the vintage/classic vehicle preservation world.

Like Sam I am an operator and I have noticed more and more members of the public asking pollution related questions when they see us parked up outside a church or a venue. I am also overhearing many more negative comments along the lines of "these polluting old vehicles should all be banned from the roads" as people walk past us.

As a business owner and someone who relies on generating an income from these old buses I am becoming increasingly concerned about the war on diesel engines; I feel it is only a matter of time before a 'carbon neutral wedding' or a 'carbon neutral event' becomes the fad of choice. And if this becomes the norm it will have a detrimental affect on all Routemaster operators regardless of the engine fitted.

I'm guessing the reason Sam started this thread was because they have had similar experiences in Scotland? And, like me are struggling to come up with a credible reply to these comments.

Personally, I am concerned about how we are killing the planet we live on and I know my vehicles are probably some of the worst polluters on the roads, but I turn a blind eye to this because I know for now the novelty of booking one of my buses out trumps any concernes my clients have about pollution. How long this attitude will last is anyones guess, but I suspect it won't be too long before attitudes change, especially with the likes of Greta Thunberg accusing people from my generation of killing the planet and ruining her future!

Then there is the threat from other towns and cities across the UK implementing their own low emission zones, Birmingham is the next city introduce this in January 2020 and I'm told unlike London Routemasters will not be exempt from paying to enter the city.

My bus number (if any): RM's 471, 765, 1783