ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
front dome repair / replacement

Dear Routemaster owners,

This is my first post in this forum, quick intro : I have owned RM1825 for a few years now and have recently started some bodywork restoration. My plan is to repaint the bus.
The bus runs and is in a lovely original condition, but it really needs some new paint and some work has to be done.
The front dome of my bus is unfortunately in a very bad shape. My understanding is that the bus has been running in Ypres in Belgium as a tourist attraction for some years, before I acquired it. I guess there must be lots of trees next to the roads around Ypres ...
Does anybody know what best practices are to repair a dented front dome ? Are there any remanufactured front dome panels by any chance, somewhere ? I've also read something about fibreglass front domes a while ago...
Thank you very much for your feedback.

Marc

My bus number (if any): 1825

Re: front dome repair / replacement

Hi Marc you are correct that a fibreshield dome was fitted in the early 1990’s that effectively went over the battered domes when the RML’s were refurbished - there was another slightly more pronounced/peaked version produced later for the Marshall refurbishment programme around ten years later. The company who made them has ceased trading but the mould may still be in existence somewhere or someone may have a second hand dome for sale possibly ? The other alternative is to remove the inner panels which should be held in place by screwed panel straps and get someone on one side with a sandbag off of some scaffolding etc and someone else on the inside with a panel beating hammer and carefully knock the dents out as best you can from both sides bearing in mind that the aluminium will be stretched in places by the dents. You can then use body filler to get the shape back as best you can before sanding smooth and painting.

My bus number (if any): RML 2747

As Graham says Marc it depends on the extent of the damage. There are replacement domes available if the dome is split or too badly dented to knock out. If the photo I have of it as "Young Bill ll" are its current state, it could easily be knocked out by a good panel beater.

As Graham says remove the interior dome panels and lighting panels as necessary, (keep the set screws and soak them in turpentine, while they are out), then take out the front and side windows, as necessary, it is not hard to do this on Routemasters.

If the dome is worse than it appears in the phot and beyond repair, you could cover it with a fibre glass skin as Graham suggests or get a second hand dome from Rob Duker of Routemaster Restoration near Peterborough.

Rob is not working at the moment but will know if he has a dome in stock. Is the bus in the UK or Belgium? If in Belgium, you may be able to get it over to Rob on a ferry.

If you can fill the roof,do not use lots of filler as it can come loose if knocked, and fall to the road or pavement...

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RM 1585, RML 2667 and several RTs

Thx for your expert opinion Graham and Brian,

here is a link with a couple of pictures

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZuoS255sNDXGZEqz5

the bus is currently in Luxembourg

A decent panel beater should be able to knock that out, I wouldn't try it myself. Getting this ready for knocking out is not hard and far easier than replacing it. You might have to wait a few weeks yet to get it done though...

thx !

That means removing the whole front dome from the bus right ?
Will the "outer skin" come off if I remove all the bracelets that surround it...

No Marc no need to to remove the dome from the bus to get it panel beaten - better if it’s left in place while it’s done so that it doesn’t distort in case it wont fit again - I can’t get the link to work for your pic but if it’s beyond panel beating and you can get hold of a fibreshield dome then you remove the panel strapping from around the outside of the front and it fits over the top of the old one, then refit the strapping as before including a new piece that goes over the new roof join, it’s relatively thin fibreglass but very strong to stand up to tree branches etc , you may have to knock any protruding dents in a bit to clear the new dome but they won’t be seen from the inside . I thought Rob Duker had retired his business some time ago but he may still sell stock as Brian says so may have one spare possibly ? I think I’d try and get it knocked out first in situ - much easier ?

thx for the advise

will get in touch with Rob

I would get a panel beater to have a look first as Brian says it would be a lot easier to knock the dents out than trying to get a new dome ?

Marc
All you need to do to gain access to the dome, is to remove the front droplight glasses and the side glasses. You can do that from inside the bus for the side front ones.

Then take the lighting panels down, Just loosen the screws above the windows, the panels will pull out, you can let them hang on the wires out of the way if you want, then remove the advert panel and two interior dome panels.

Our buses in France do not have these interior panels fitted because of the need to knock out dents from trees.

The panel beater then can access the dents with his dolly (weight) on the inside and flipper/hammer on the outside.If the damage is as it was, you really do not need a new dome or cover dome.

thx for the feedback

I'll try to get to it and let you know what the outcome will be

-Marc

Colleagues,

I have removed the interior panels today, and have access to the dome now. It was not a difficult job and only 2 screw snapped off !
I've done a few trials with a hammer and indeed the dome seems quite ductile...
Have added some pictures to the following link if you are interested: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNzoZQq0UAaPFaTrDuis8uuEyUvVDZEn0zFrSyhC3sMJ0msL2rU6CFHllmJmybuxA?key=RzBxZjRTS3VVS2h1bkhXWTlGUmNSOGNWNXNaaWRR

to be continued

thx !

Marc

That’s good news Marc - hopefully you can knock the broken screws inserts through and replace with new ones as they are an interference fit while the panels are down and you can get to the other side of the aluminium roof extrusion - correct inserts and screws are available from the Routemaster Association.

Colleagues,

Have done some initial “panel beating” tests, good news it’s doable, indeed !

Have added some new pictures to the following link – fyi

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNzoZQq0UAaPFaTrDuis8uuEyUvVDZEn0zFrSyhC3sMJ0msL2rU6CFHllmJmybuxA/photo/AF1QipOeBWTykgS_oSpAM8qooSCpcINvAo1klYVISf3C?key=RzBxZjRTS3VVS2h1bkhXWTlGUmNSOGNWNXNaaWRR

Does anybody know if the rest of the side roof panels and the rear dome are of the same aluminum type as the front dome ?
The whole driver side is full of dents (not as nasty as the front dome) that have to be rectified. You can see those side dents in one of new the pictures, now that the cover of the bus is off.

Thx !

Marc

Hi Mark,
I have looked at your pic. The side curves are more difficult to knock out, I would suggest that you get some 1.2mm ali rolled to the side roof curve and rivet these over the roof side panels, its easy, I have just done this on my RMC. cut the panels to size, a bay at a time and they only need to go on the roof to the first set of rivets. Remove the side strapping, fit the repair patch and replace the side strapping.
Cheers
Rob

My bus number (if any): RMC1458

Hi Marc, I'd suggest you contact Jean-Luc Frank of Routemaster absl in Luxembourg. they have RM1081. they had some fairly serious rear dome damage repaired locally a few years ago and he may point you in the direction of whoever repaired theirs.

I usually visit them 2 times a year to do safety checks on their bus if that's any help.

My bus number (if any): RML2532

thx Roy and Rob

I'll have a word with JL, we know each other.
Let me know when you come over next time to Lux, I'll try to be there as well.

Will give an update on my dome ( and roof side panel) repair project soon, work in progress..

Colleagues,

Here comes an update from RM1825’s "dome and roof sidepanel" repair project.

As people here suggested earlier, it was indeed possible to remove the dents from the front and the rear domes with the right tools.
As Rob had suggested that side panels were a bit more difficult to handle, I chose a different technique to rectify them.
I have built a wooden die that has the same curvature than the side roof panels.
I’ve pushed this die against the panels from the inside with the help of a small 2t hydraulic jack. If all angles are adjusted correctly and pressure is applied sensibly, this setup works remarkably well. I have added a couple of pictures, so you can see the end result and the setup.

picture link:
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNzoZQq0UAaPFaTrDuis8uuEyUvVDZEn0zFrSyhC3sMJ0msL2rU6CFHllmJmybuxA?key=RzBxZjRTS3VVS2h1bkhXWTlGUmNSOGNWNXNaaWRR

In the end I am quite happy with the result. The final finish will have to be done with some filler.
Again thx for the advise and support !

Cheers

Marc

Here are the pictures that Marc has sent me to upload in order that the text of this thread coupled with the pictures show the stages of repairing RM 1825`s roof dents.....

A really interesting set of pictures making a worthwhile record of both the actual task and of revealing a part of Routemaster bodywork that most of us don`t usually get to see.

Thanks for that Marc and Neil - interesting technique !

My bus number (if any): RML2747