ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Rexine’s Demise

I take your point, the stuff was a bit too good. Talking of Rexine, I seem to remember my sister's Sobell recod player,(with it's auto changer and VHF tuner). The large lid and sides had a rexine type covering.

As you say it was widely used to cover furniture as it’s hard wearing and original stuff is quite sought after in the antique trade apparently - hopefully not fireside chairs !

My bus number (if any): RML 2747

I may be able to help a bit here.

Back in the early 1970's I had to re-cover the interior of MLL721, my BEA coach. I used Evo-stick. Most of that has lasted the course now it's being restored "properly". I've had to use a blow lamp to heat the vynide to get the stuff off!

To 1990s, when we started on MLL738, we used vynide (produced by Wardle-Storey) and the glue they provided didn't last a couple of years. I called their rep round and he thought it could be polymer migration, some sort of chemical reaction. then he asked what adhesive was used, and that was the wrong sort. We needed to use a very high melt point adhesive that could withstand temperatures of over 200c. That is how hot it can get in motor vehicles in summer.

Later in the 2000's, GS67 was re-trimmed using the Ratchford's rexine. I used a spray on adhesive which so far has stood the test of time. I used the same stuff when MLL738 was done properly and that too shows no sign of lifting yet, and that was done about 6 years ago.

I also done RFW14 which has a mixture of a thick vynide on the ceiling and a thin railway grade dark green vynide on the sides. I don't think any of that has shown signs of lifting yet.

The knack seems to be to apply the adhesive from a spray gun, it has to come out like a spider's web, let it go off for about 15 minutes then apply it to the surface. I'll look up what the stuff is later.

Needless to say make sure all surfaces are clean and free from old adhesive. I'm about to do some today on an RT.

My bus number (if any): RML2532

I use alpha Adhesives S1922TF, 5 litre cans. also available in smaller aerosols, but a more expensive way to do things. you can get it direct from Alpha 01299 828626 or Boyriven 01624 771414.

Alpha bought out Dunlop Adhesives a few years ago including things like Thixofix.

My bus number (if any): RML2532

Thanks Roy that’s very helpful - it’s amazing how hot vehicle interiors can get to in the summer - certainly they right weather to do the job in not too hot, damp or cold for a change !

My bus number (if any): RML 2747