ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fuel cap seal

I am looking for some rubber fuel cap rubbers seals as the rubber is starting to perish on the above, or any suitable replacements I could use , Thanks.

My bus number (if any): RMs 121, 1174, 2033, RML 2619

Re: Fuel cap seal

A lot of RMs don't have them so I wouldn't worry too much.

Most RT/RF/GS don't have them either.

You could try to make one from a sheet of rubber.

My bus number (if any): RML2532

I thought that this is a requirement of the MOT ?

Mine is always checked.

My bus number (if any): RM1368

Thank you both

It would appear the rubber seal has to be
BA 60 spec Nitrile oil & fuel resistant but have managed to get an A4 sheet 3mm thick, and will be able to get 4, using the old one as a template, please email me of you require the source

Graham

Andrew Morgan
I thought that this is a requirement of the MOT ?

Mine is always checked.
If one was originally fitted, then it must be present and in good order. As I said, RT/RF/GS and some of the RMs I've worked on have never had them.

Any questions, refer to the Testers Manual, you can download it from the DVSA website.

from the PSV tester's manual: section 45 sorry it's come out a bit garbled!

a.
b. c. d.
a.
b.
c.
d. 3
a. b.
c.
(i) (ii) (i) (ii)
Fuel tank:
strap or support broken or missing.
so insecure on its mountings that it is likely to drop away partially or completely when the vehicle is used.
heat shield missing, or defective to such an extent it constitutes an obvious fire risk.
defective such that leakage of fuel is possible.
Fuel system:
leaking and does not represent an obvious hazard to other road users or passengers.
leaking and represents an obvious hazard to other road users or passengers.
pipes damaged (restricted/chafed) or so positioned that they are fouled by moving parts of the vehicle.
pipes so damaged (restricted/chafed), insecure or with an inadequate repair, such that they are likely to fail and leak which would cause danger to persons on the vehicle or to other road users.
with a pipe or pipes immediately adjacent to or in contact with electrical wiring.
carburettor driptray and/or drain pipe missing.
Filler cap:
missing.
does not fasten securely:
 by a positive means, or
 such that pressure is not maintained on the sealing
arrangement.
sealing washer torn, deteriorated or missing, or a mounting flange/sealing method defective such that leakage of the fuel is possible.
Major Dangerous*
Dangerous Major
Major Dangerous Minor Major
Major Major
Dangerous Major
Major
20/05/2018 2 of 2 Document Uncontrolled When Printed

Filler cap:
missing.
does not fasten securely:
 by a positive means, or
 such that pressure is not maintained on the sealing
arrangement.
sealing washer torn, deteriorated or missing, or a mounting flange/sealing method defective such that leakage of the fuel is possible.
Major