ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
AEC Renown clutch

Had this request yesterday. Have pointed out it’s not a Routemaster. Just wondered if anyone has has an answer.

Good Morning

I have been asked by one of my customers who is restoring an 1965 routemaster to try and help him locate a clutch kit for outright sale as he is missing the bearing of the kit, he has given me the chassis number
REN0WN3B3RAN0139 Model 1965

Is this something you could help with. Any response or suggestions would be appreciated

Kind Regards

Malcolm

All Truck And Trailer Parts Uk Ltd

Re: AEC Renown clutch

Hi Colin,
I understand from your request your customer has a new existing clutch assembly minus its bearing.

May I suggest he or you make contact with Brammer Bearing a UK countrywide supplier of bearings.

My bus number (if any): Ex LTE Bus Engineering

AEC Society have a good number of contacts, there are also suppliers on their Facebook page of AEC and Renown spares like Martyn Callaghan‎ in Rotherham.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RM 1585, RML 2667 and several RTs

There's a company I used in the Wakefield ared, used to be called Clutchfix. They made a new clutch for a Lodekka for me a few years ago. I'll look up the contact details.

My bus number (if any): RML2532

Clutchfix are in Cleckheaton. It was probably Truckfix, if this was a few years ago, who had to pack up in 2016 because of ill health but managed to restart with many of the same team from the same premises.

I hope the carrier for the release bearing isn't missing because these are a special.

Thanks gents. I shall pass this on.

Some AEC gearboxes had a large removeable (keyed)splined hub on the input shaft. This is much larger than what one might be expecting. If this is the set up on this particular vehicle then IIRC this has to be pulled off the input shaft after undoing the securing nut, in order to change the release bearing. The matching splines in the centre plate are obviously the same size. There are also two alternative types of clutch withdrawal bearing carriers which are not directly interchangeable, these match with specific alternative cross shafts and pressure plates. It looks like this has to be dismantled to see what is fitted. Clutchfix will want the flywheel anyway I expect, and that is likely to be fun to remove... I can't swear to it because the Renown may have a remote mounted gearbox but this might be an engine out job and that is another kettle of fish entirely.

Clutchfix 01274 877322. Used to be run by a lady called Diane, she packed the business in, her sons bought it and all the patterns. they can make and have made a clutch bearing carrier for me for a client in Austria for a Lodekka. Cleckheaton sounds familiar.

For information, Truckfix became Clutchfix following family illness. daine who used to run Truckfix became ill and family members bought the business assets and it became Clutchfix. I can highly recommend them if anyone needs a clutch repaired or completely rebuilt. As I said in an earlier post they rebuilt a Bristol Lodekka clutch for me for a client in austria. It took a couple of months and cost a couple of thousand ££s, but that included carriage both ways for the old parts as patterns and the rebuilt unit. Excellent service.