ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New Facebook Group

I have started a new ROOF Facebook group. Some of you have seen it
It is NOT meant to replace this Forum, only to seek a wider audience for ROOF. All posts on here and Facebook will be replicated.

There is a Routemaster owners club, but that seems tom have more bus spotters than owners.

The technical data will also be available on the Facebook version as soon as I have time to copy it over.

It is a private group and so cannot be accessed by non-members. If you are a Routemaster owner and would like to also see the Facebook page, please message me on Facebook.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RM 1585, RML 2667 and several RTs

Re: New Facebook Group

Im sorry but I shall have to stop posting on ROOF in that case and I would be grateful if no historical posts of mine are transferred. I simply do not want to be in any way involved with some of the cretins who inhabit public facebook sites and the wider audience of bus enthusiast hairies.

Sorry to hear that Roy, your contributions have been invaluable and I thank you personally for the help that you have given me with issues.

You are not required to join Facebook, this Forum will continue as it is.

The vast majority of RM owners and operators and the people who maintain their buses are now on Facebook, I find it a very useful medium, to gain and share information and keep in touch with family in the UK and former colleagues from Aldenham, nobody need know you are there if you set your security properly...

The Facebook group is already thriving and will attract I'm sure more users as time goes on. Whether we like it or not Forums are a thing of the past, most are now Facebook groups.
I want to use ROOF to help as many owners as possible, Facebook provides that opportunity.

Well done Brian, I often thought Facebook lacked a Routemaster technical group, as previously mentioned there are plenty of 'Routemaster Enthusiast' groups on Facebook so one for owners and experts to share technical knowledge is a good thing.

Our on-line habits have changed, unfortunately the days of platforms like this attracting large numbers are over, so it's good you are moving with the times by putting the content of this foum where there is an audience.

What is the name of the group please Brian?

David

It'll also save a the few of us who pay for this site having to pay for it in future. :)

My bus number (if any): RML2532

I have recently decided to take a rest from that medium, with what is going on in at home and around the world at the moment, it was time to give it a rest. It has its good points but sadly it also has many bad points. I just can’t wait to get to play with my girls that are currently out of bounds until restrictions are lifted at the museum where they are.

My bus number (if any): RM66 and RM308

Do you have a link for the facebook group?

My bus number (if any): RML883, RML2335, RML2368, RML2508

Just type "Routemaster Owners and Operators" into the search bar on Facebook, there is also an RM owners group but that has more members than there are RMs...

The Facebook group is doing well, over 50 members, all owners or maintainers who are helping each other with problems, sources of material etc.

So, recently rescued an RM 1754 in Arizona -
Looking for the drivetrain components and trying to get it back on the road-
I has been in an office for 14 years - Fire Department made it difficult and nothing was able to leak, so engine and transmission and differential was removed and no where to be found -
any info on a differential would be most appreciated -
tblock@blockenergygroup.com is my address

My bus number (if any): rm1754

Try contacting Lorne McDonald, he had aan IVECO engine spare in the USA. You can find him by doing a search.

To reply to roy (not me, the other one) the FB group will be a private members group with "membership" strictly controlled. whilst the group name will be visible to all, any posts won't be, nor will personal details of members.

I find the enthusiast groups a bit boring most of the time, the "oh look there's a radiator and a seat from RM2872 in a barn, let's find the rest of the bus and restore it to original" sort of posts. Or "oh, I used to drive that one out of Nunhead Garage in 1956"...

It will be a shame to lose your input to the group, so it seems like this one will live on a bit longer yet.

Brian Engine and trans should be easily source-able its the differential (either OEM or Replacement) is on the immediate agenda

My bus number (if any): rm1754

I have a rebuilt gearbox available, new short half shaft but no diff! they are like rocking horse droppings to get these days.

You're looking at serious money though, gearbox about £2k, half shaft about £2k, shipping maybe £900.

HI Roy, Hope you are well during these difficult times.
I am usig this time to catch up with a lot of Jobs on my RML, and have an oil leak where the fuel pump meets the timing case.
Do you know if there is an oil seal that leaks, or is it a gasket please? Bus has a cummins c series.
Thaks Roy

My bus number (if any): RML 2353, MB 306, MS 1103