ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A replacement engine for RM471

With a good deal of highly skilled help I have replaced the engine on RM471 with a completely refurbished AEC AV590 unit. I've posted some pictures of the operation on the the ROOF website.

Cut and paste the following link or click "Return to website" above and then click on the "Engine change for RM471" link.

http://www.routemaster.dsl.pipex.com/Engine%20Change.htm

My bus number (if any): RM471 & RM2213

Re: A replacement engine for RM471

Wow! Very impressive - and scary - Chris!!! And very interesting to see how with all the peripheral things removed it does look (probably deceptively!) straightforward to put the engine in. Wouldn't know where to start with then reconnecting everything and making it work!!

My bus number (if any): RML2302 The Rocket

Hi Chris, Thanks for a great article, I found the pictures very interesting.
Is there any chance you could give me some pointers on how to adjust the valve settings. I have the manual, but have very little experiance of large diesels.
Regards
Trig
P.s my steering pump hose burst last year, just as I was about to mount the inspection ramp for RM110's MOT. Oil every where! you are not joking.

My bus number (if any): RM110

Hi Chris, Good to see you back again.

Was this just taking an ideal opportunity to acquire that extremely elusive item - an AEC engine that isn't clapped out? You have been extremely fortunate to find one that has been overhauled.

Why was it necessary to change the engine? Poor starting and black smoke can be down to low compressions, but it's certainly not at the top of the list. What investigations were done? AECs are good starters even when tired.

Re: Re: A replacement engine for RM471

Very poor starting when cold (sometimes 2 minutes or more of cranking). Then masses of black smoke until engine hot. A loud pop noise with each revolution.

Was offered another recently removed poor starter/smoker AV590. With skilled help we replaced all the bearings, the piston rings, cylinder heads, serviced the oil pump, power steering pump, fuel injector pump and injectors. Also a newly reconditioned lift pump and water pump.

The new engine runs smoothly and starts instantly. Currently ruuning in - 150 miles so far. Initially no smoke at all but is smoking a bit now which is a little worrying.

Next job is to rebuild old 471 engine for 2213!

My bus number (if any): RM471 and RM2213

Re: Re: Re: A replacement engine for RM471

Hi Chris,
I hope you have been given good advice on how to run-in a Diesel engine.
You certainly DON'T ***** foot around with it. Basically use running-in oil and thrash the nuts off it!
It MUST work hard or it will polish the bores and drink oil for evermore.

Try these websites for advice:
Diesel Injection of Pittsburg
Morris Lubricants
Castrol oils
Millers oils

On the Pittsburg site you are looking for 'Bruce Mallinson's Horsepower and Torque articles' and for 'Garry's diesel troubleshoot guide'.

On all the oil company sites you are looking for the technical sections and for advice relating to vintage engines.

Re: Re: Re: Re: A replacement engine for RM471

Hi Chris,
Sorry forgot it was a yank site and it won't allow a term of endearment for a cat! Almost harmless in the UK however. So we'll say 'bow-wow foot around' shall we?

Some very interesting information on running in re-built engines. When I replaced the AEC unit on RM1699 4 years ago (the same engine that's now been rebuilt and re-cycled into RM471) I took it very carefully indeed and didn't really take it to full revs until well after 500 miles. And even then took it very steady. Looks as if I was doing it wrong according to the various advice. Still the engine has done about 3,000 miles and runs very well with very little oil consumption. Does anyone know what are the signs/symptoms of cyclinder bore glazing that results from improper running in?

My bus number (if any): RM1699 Eastbourne Regent V 69

Symptoms of bore glazing will include some or all of:
high oil consumption,
possible lack of power,
oil smoke in exhaust can which normally be smelt more than seen a diesel making a different smell to a petrol engine
oil dripping from exhaust -- easy to find on an AEC because it will drip from the join in the exhaust manifold onto the fuel pump.
The enemy is letting the engine tick-over for more than the briefest period ie 5 mins max.
Unless you have 64 volunteers it is a bit difficult to load the engine, so it will have to be a case of accelerating progressively harder and changing down manually over and over again to really make it work.
All you are really doing is making it do the job it was designed to do.

Many thanks for the advice. None of those symptoms experienced so far thankfully!

I'm planning to have 69's engine rebuilt later this year (also an AV590)and will take heed of the technical advice given on the very helpful Morris website.

My bus number (if any): RM1699 Eastbourne Regent V 69