ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
starter motor aec 590

can any one point me in the right direction for a starter motor for a 590 AEC routemaster or some one who can recondition the old one
gordon

My bus number (if any): rm875

Re: starter motor aec 590

Maybe a bit too far south for you Gordon, but the Friends of Classic London Buses newsletter recommends:

P&G Engineering,
Unit 19, Bow Triangle Business Centre,
Eleanor Street, Bow, London E3 4NP,
telephone 0208 980 2387, email PGDiesel@aol.com

There is also a branch in Bishops Stortford.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960

Sorry you have a problem. Are you sure it cannot be repaired? I recently thought I would have to replace an AEC 590 starter motor but found an automotive electrician (Grimwood, Fengate, Peterborough) who recognised it as a standard Leyland Automotive component, used in a large variety of plant and other vehicles. They were able to obtain and replace the switchgear in the housing at the pinion end of the motor for £75 and it works fine now.

My bus number (if any): RM471 and RM2213

Problem sorted guys new starter on the way chatfields tyne tees sorted it out for me the old starter works fine electrically but the bearing on the end has a lot of end play which was causing it not to mesh on the fly wheel ring gear but thanks for the help
Gordon

Hi,
Glad you solved your problem, below I have included contact details for a company that took great care of me.
J & S Component Engineering

Contact Details Automotive components

179 New Road,

Rainham,

Essex RM13 8SH

01708 550359
I hope this is of use to anybody experiancing the same problem.
I seem to remember that the number of teeth may vary on some Routemasters so its best to get under the bus and count them before contacting them.
Regards
Trig

My bus number (if any): RM110