ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bolts

Hi all
Does anybody know where I can get a replacement non return valve for an RMC. This valve sits between the two air tanks and AFAIK ensures the air tank for the gearbox remains full. Also I need the bolts that secure the water jacket bridge on the AV 590 engine, 2 long ones 4 short ones. I have been kindly offered some but rather than take somebody's spares I might be able to get them from a shop in the UK or even EBay if I knew the exact thread and sizes. Any help much appreciated. Brian

My bus number (if any): RTL 960

Re: Bolts

You won't get bolts of the exact length as they are non standard. If I recall rightly the shorter ones are 1 5/8" long and the longer ones 1 7/8", both are 5/16" UNF thread you will have to cut longer ones down. Don't forget the copper washers to go under the head of the bolts.

You should be able to get a modern equivalent of the valve you want. Does it have a tag number on it? While it may well be designed to keep the gearbox tank full; and I believe this is correct because it is possible to drive the vehicle with deflated air bags; this should be considered a design flaw. It would be much safer to plumb the vehicle with a protection valve so that the gearbox cannot receive air until the air suspension tank is fully charged.

I'll pick up some 2 inch 5/16" UNF bolts for you to cut down to size from Sterling Nut & Bolt in Peterborough if it helps. I'm going there anyway in the next few days. No problem posting them out to you if this helps, Cheers Chris

My bus number (if any): RM471 and RM2213

Thanks Roy and Chris.
The part number on the valve is 272 et n°874024 I am waiting to see what make it is.

Yes please for the bolts Chris, can you get 10 x 2" 5/16 unf with a good thread length, if Roy's dimensions are correct they will have to be cut down, can you get a couple nuts as well so I can make sure the thread is good after cutting. Let me know P&P and I'll give you the address to send them.

Thanks again

Brian

The valve we are after is a Westinghouse 272, the casting number is 874024, if that means anything to anybody I would be interested to know, I think LT called Westinghouse parts by WBS numbers but then again this may have had a Brisch number like 3049 - 00.

Bolts - sorted

I've got your 10 UNF bolts and a couple of nuts for you from Stirling Nut & Bolt. £3.74 inc VAT. Could you send me your email address off forum and I'll post them to you.

My bus number (if any): RM471 and RM2213