ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New fangled RMLs, Alarms, red llights etc

We have just acquired ex X based RML 2667 last seen on the 23s and have frankly no idea what we are looking at in the cab, being used to original condition RMs with our previous vehicles. Can anyone explain the significance of the red warning lights in the cab up where the starter is please? We think its a Cummins engine but cannot find any ID plate, so it could be an IVECO, its definitely not an AEC or Leyland that is for sure.

If anyone knows where a running Leyland RM engine can be found, we are still loking for one!!

I was going to post this on another RM Forum but its gone back to the usual ill informed political shite it is famous for!

My bus number (if any): RTL 960

Re: New fangled RMLs, Alarms, red llights etc

Brian

I can confirm that 2667 is a Cummins engined vehicle. I'm not sure about the red lights in the cab - but know someone who would be able to provide the answer and will come back to you.

I gave up on the other forum a long time ago - your description is highly acurate!

My bus number (if any): RM1699 Eastbourne Regent V 69

What do you want to do with the thing in the future? drive it about; or gaze admiringly at its recently reinstalled 'original features' while eulogising over the exact note emanating from the bonnet? That is if you are able to keep the engine running.

You've already hit the nail on the head regarding Leyland engines (or AEC for that matter): you can't find one, and when you can you won't find the parts to overhaul it properly when it needs it; which is likely to be soon.

The engine you have in it now was made by one of the largest engine manufacturers in the world, with the associated technical back-up, service support, and still current spares availability. The re-engine programme wasn't a whim of fancy; it was an engineering necessity.

Stick with the mechanicals you've got and leave the ever diminishing stock of spares for those who already have Leyland and AEC running gear. You are going to need a lot more than just an engine anyway.

Lambasting another group; which just happens to have contributors with the technical knowledge you desire and which furthermore, has praised your own knowledge and input; is merely cutting off your nose to spite your face.

But it's your bus.

I have no idea what your post is about Roy as it does not answer my post at all or make any sense, do you really think I am trying to change an RML to a Leyland engine?
RML 2667 has a Cummins engine and I want to know what the warning lights in the cab are for which you doon't appear to know. so thanks for nothing.

This is not the only RM that I have access to or get asked for parts abouy. We also use two AEC engined buses and have someone who has a Leyland engined RM that needs a new engine and has been looking for one for over a year now and yes I have asked all the "right" people.

As regards the other Forum, despite numerous promises from Alan to keep it on topic everytime I go back to it, it has topic after topic about Boris, Bendys and other irrelevant shite, so I prefer this Forum where there may not be so many informative posters but at least they stick to the topic.

I gather there were a number of modification reltaing to the various warning lights that were added. These tended to vary with operators. It sounds as if this mod was specific to Westbourne Park. As such Leon Daniels would probably be the best person to advise - via the Routemaster Association - as he also gave up on the other forum some while ago!

I'll make a couple of enquiries about the Leyland. There may still be a chance of sourcing one, however remote.

My bus number (if any): RM1699 Eastbourne Regent V 69

Hello Brian,

I once owned an ex X RML for a while and can confirm that one is definitely a low water warning, linked to an annoying buzzer. My enquiries as regard the other ended in someone telling me that it was an oil warning light. I had experience of the water one on a few occasions and as soon as I topped the level the light and buzzer ceased.

Hope this helps,

Mike Mann

My bus number (if any): RM2186

I had the same experience as Mike with my ex-Camberwell bus - it's awful having your bus bleeping at you with increasing urgency in Northallerton High Street and not knowing what she's trying to tell you! The answer is quite easy to see when you look at (oddly enough) the IVECO expansion tank (on the CUMMINS engine) as you can see a sensor at the low water level.

My bus number (if any): RML2302

If it helps many moons ago when the RMOOA had their stores at Royston there were several Leyland cylinder heads in stock, I doubt if any one has bought them, I don't know what state they were in but looked serviceable to my untrained eye - I guess these items are still somewhere in existence and available to purchase possibly ? - On the subject of the Cummins engine, the plate is on the front of the block towards the top - not obvious at first but easily read when located - if you need parts or filters , Cummins in Wellingborough are very helpful and can supply all the necessary bits direct once you divulge the engine number to them - their excellent Troubleshootong Manual for the C series is around £70.00 delivered.

Graham

My bus number (if any): RML2747

Thanks Gents for your very helpful replies. When we restarted the bus the next morning all the lights were out. After reinstalling the alternator which was not the easiest of operations, we had two rede lights, one was permanently on, the other flashed, oil and water would seem to be sensible warning light options, I'll pass the information on.
Re the Leyland engine, it is a copmplete engine needed as they ran it low on oil, we tried the RMOAA but no joy, so we looked at doing an IVECO conversion but that possible but not really feasible without extensive modifications to wiring and engine mountings. The owners were put in touch with a man in Swansea to do with the Museum who could rebuild their engine but that apparently was not followed up.

Thanks again
Brian

Brian. As you may know the Routemaster Leyland engine is the well-known 0600 which ws fitted to many other Leyland buses and trucks in the 50's and 60's. It was modified for the Routemaster with bolted on bits and pieces like a steering pump, a coolant reservoir, fluid flywheel etc. etc. Any way, if you can find an 0600 engine in good nick you should be able to rebuild it for the RM by switching over the ancilliaries from the old unit.

With all due respect Brian, I think you are wrong to be so vitriolic about the other website.
Many of the entries you made were full of vitriol and provcative though personally I thought that made the site all the more richer as it offered different points of view.
I too no longer contribute after someone started to stir things between TfL and our business which led to 'pressure' being applied to the company which threatened the jobs of my employees.
The source was a contributor who made anonymous 'tip offs to TfL and the police which were unfounded.
We are now taking legal action against that individual. Who also had nothing to do with the running of that site, but is well known in the transport industry.

That said, the other site has been broader based and far more often than not has turned out to be very accurate on its tip offs and comments. As a Londoner and as a london business director, I have to say that we have managed to glean more information that is true than I have managed to get from the appropriate authorities. London based Routemaster owners probably feel the same.

So Brian, rather than use expletives because your politics and point of view may be at odds with those of some others, the fact you and they are free to say what they want is something others died for and others in the world are currently dying for.

There are contributors on that site who are right in the thick of what goes on in TfL and the industry and have a rich font of knowledge as do you, but everyone is entitled to their opinions and I for one respect that whether I agree or not.

My bus number (if any): Undisclosed but in London

i hve tried to reply to you by E Mail Jack, but that E mail address is duff. We have moved on a long way from the first post on here and politics have been banned from "that" site as they have always been on here. I notice you say "There are contributors on that site who are right in the thick of what goes on in TfL " Like who? AFAIK nobody who worksd for TFL has contributed to that site for years. Anyway its good to see you posting on here, there are no sneaks here, only people interested in Routemaster buses.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RML 2667 and an RMC

I'm rather surprised about the reaction that Brian's comments have generated regarding another site. He was offering an honest opinion and I'm sure he's far from alone in the views he expressed.

Like Brian, I use this site as it does exactly what it say's on the tin - to promote a mature discussion on technical issues free from any political ideology or agenda. That's its strength and all credit to Chris for maintaining the forum and the excellent supporting website.

And now back to routemasters!!

My bus number (if any): RM1699 - Eastbourne Regent V 69

Thanks for the reply Brian, and yes, this is a great site for the technical stuff, but I do think there's plenty of space for two types of site and agree as long as opinions and politics are kept to a site with a broad range, the narrower nuts n'bolts site can do what it does best too.
As for my email, you're right, it wont take incoming mail, I wondered why it had been so quiet of late although I do tend to use my work one mostly.
I'll have to see about getting it rectified. Thanks for letting me know.
Jack

My bus number (if any): Undisclosed but in London