ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Running In

I've recently had the AEC AV590 engine rebuilt (including new rings and big ends) on my Regent V and wondered what's the most effective way of running in the engine.

I've read various conflicting advice. Some say its best to thrash the engine i.e run in under load and accelerate heavily. Others advise a more restrained approach. The former is recommended by the Morris website. The main reason given for working the engine hard from day one is to prevent bore glazing and/or excessive oil consumption.

The AV590 on my RM was re-build 5 years ago and I adopted a very restrained approach - at least for the first 1000 miles and I've not had any probelms. Oil consumption is fine and the engine runs perfectly.

I wondered if anyone out these has any thoughts the'd be happy to share.

My bus number (if any): RM1699 Eastbourne Regent V 69

Re: Running In

Steve
LT ran their reconned engines for about 8 hours in the Chiswick test house at medium revs, no thrashing or idling, just about half foot down, about 900-100 rpm there was no other running in done and no special instructions issued with "new" engines they just went into the bus and into service.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RML 2667 and an RMC

Thanks Brian. The Chiswich method sounds like sound advice to me. The key thing is to avoid prolonged periods of idling that would appear to be one of the main causes of bore glazing.

Having had 2 AV590's reconditioned, (and also Chris Dobbing's AEC on RM471 that was re-built by the same person that worked on mine), I was surprised about the relatively good availability of spares. It's just a case of doing some research and cultivating the right contacts.

My bus number (if any): RM1699 - Eastbourne Regent V 69

Hi Stephen,

Out of interest, who reconned your engines?

Andy

My bus number (if any): RM2059, RMC1490, RCL2243

Andy

Both engines were reconditionned by Graham Green (who also did Chris Dobbing's RM471.)

Graham used to work freelance for Reading Mainline and was responsible for carring out much of their heavy maintenance including re-engining their Leyland RM's back to AEC's. If you would like his contact details then please email me.

Incidentally, the AV 590 removed from RM1699 was subsequently transferred to Chris Dobing's RM471 after about 3 years storage and an extensive re-build. We RM owners like to do our bit for re-cycling!

My bus number (if any): RM1699 - Eastbourne Regent V 69

Hi Stephen,

Yes I know Graham, as I was an instrumental part of setting Reading Mainline up. Have lost contact with him though

Andy

My bus number (if any): RM2059, RMC1490, RCL2243