ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Reglazing emergency windows and screens

To replace the rubber around the emergency window and lower half screen is relatively simple. Both OH Baines and Woolies produce this rubber. Woolies have it as their R 679.

Its just a matter of removing the old rubber, cleaning out the channel and inserting the new rubber from one end to the other with these screens, but REMEMBERR to leave an inch or two at both end for shrinkage, particularly on the emergency window, cut off if desired after a few hours.

With the emergency window its a job done easier on a bench and greased and the opening mechanism and the locks can also be cleaned, checked and lubricated at the same time.

The rubber on the lower screen can be changed on the bus but they are easy to take out if not riveted in place! As with the emergency window its just fed from one end to the other and voila its done. Again leave a little for shrinkage and do not be tempted to cut it off straight away.

When fitting rubber to any window DO NOT use any form of detergent as it will rot the rubber prematurely, use water or a proprietary tyre lubricant.

For the upper screens LT bought these rubbers pre-made. The bottom corners are right angles and will need to be cut, mitred and sealed. When reglazing this screen there are two options, you can feed the rubber for the sides and top through from the bottom as with the emergency window and then cut off and add the bottom section, cutting, mitring and sealing the angled joints with waterproof tape and a rubber solution, or you can make it up in one piece and then fit it.

If you want to make up the top screen rubber first, carefully measure the required length and prepare the rubber, make the right-angled joints and seals and let them dry. The “one piece” rubber can then be fed directly into the screen channel all the way round by pushing the bar of the T firmly into the channel using a glazing spoon, this does not normally stretch the rubber so the rubber can be accurately measured and cut prior to fitting without risk of shrinkage.

If you don’t have a glazing spoon a rounded off large screw driver with no angled or sharp edges can be used or something similar in plastic. A glazing spoon's end is in the shape of an angled old fashioned spoon handle flared out and rounded so as not to cut, if you have one use that. Just feed the bar carefully into the channel all round and the job is done.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RML 2667 and an RMC

Re: Reglazing emergency windows and screens

Brian

A very useful step by step guide. Replacement of the window rubbers was one of my first jobs when I acqired my RM nearly 10 years ago. I started using washing up liquid as a lubricant. It didn't work too well. The proper rubber lubricant in a spary can was ideal and made the job much easier. Nearly 10 years on and no shrinkage - its stood the test of time!

My bus number (if any): RM1699 - Eastbourne Regent V 69

Which lubricants are recommended for the new window rubber ?
Thanks
Mark

My bus number (if any): RML2391

Not sure what you mean Mark. Do you mean new rubber in the old style for side windows or the replacement laced glazing now fitted to the destination glasses and the U/S rear emergency exit door?
If its laced glazing you will need a special tool. For glazing side windows using the old style rubber you should not really need a lubricant, it really is a simple as fixing the rubber around to the glass cut to size, joint at the top and then firmly pushing the whole lot into place and then fixing the lip inside the window pan.

If you do need a lubricant, you can use any brand of tyre fixing lubricant. You can actually use soapy water although its not recommended, but do not use washing up liquid.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RML 2667 and an RMC

Hi Brian,
Not any window in particular , just if you find a stuborn section which needs a bit of help . Just wondered if there was a really easy to use brand or make etc. More likely would be cab glazing or emergency windows as mentioned
Mark

My bus number (if any): RML2391

A firm in High wycombe supplied a lot of routemaster glass and I believe they still have it or can cut to your tenplate. The company is called PSV Glass.

The other section of this site includes the details for PSV glass and the part numbers of all the commomly used glasses. They can also get cab door glasses made to order.
Being probably their biggest customer for RT and RM glass in France, I can thoroghly recommend them for noth quality and really good customer service. See here for details:
http://www.routemaster.dsl.pipex.com/Routemaster Glass.htm

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RML 2667, RM 1585, RMC 1458 and 14 RTs