ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
RM471, London Buses in Blackpool & Manchester, RM102 in Paris, RM13 progress, B frames, Panhard Rods

I've posted some new stuff on the ROOF website. Sorry things have been a bit quiet but I've been working abroad in a conflict zone with only intermittent and very low speed Internet and it has taken a little while to adjust to getting back. Please have a look at the new items and pictures.

click Return to Website above for all this.

As always, I'd welcome corrections, comments, suggestions, advice, humour, criticism (and praise).

My bus number (if any): RM471 & RM 2213

Re: RM471, London Buses in Blackpool & Manchester, RM102 in Paris, RM13 progress, B frames, Panhard

Chris. Good to hear from you and hope all is well with you. I particularly enjoyed your photos of RM13's B frame. 1699 had its B frame changed about 6 years ago and that looked horrendous as well. Refurbished B frames are still supplied by Imperial Engineering, but I'd be interested to to find out where you can go to get them replaced these days - or is Rob planning to tackle the project himself?

My bus number (if any): RM1699 - Eastbourne Regent V 69

RM13 progress, B frames, Panhard Rods

In answer to your question, I am doing all the work on RM13 myself.

Just a bit of an update on RM13, I seem to be at the stage of two steps forward and three steps back at the moment, I am getting there, but it’s a slow job.
I took RM13’s B Frame out about a month ago, its in fair condition, but I also took out the B Frame on RML2357, that’s the donor bus that I have, that B Frame is in excellent condition, and the refurbed ones look like they have been strengthened. I have checked over the refurbed B frame, and last weekend I fitted the reconditioned 4.08 diff to it, so its ready to go back.
The Panhard Rod crossmember on RM13 was only just ok, one small hole about 1/8” in one of the uprights, and the bottom plate had some corrosion on it, so I have removed it and I am in the process of making a new one.
In the meantime I thought that it would be a good idea to take off the rear inner mudguards, needless to say some of the 2BA? Bolts sheared off, but all is well and I will make a couple of new sections and refit it all.
It is a long old job, but I do enjoy it and that’s the main thing. It is heavy work dragging these lumps about but I am getting there.

Rob.

ps
The Panhard Rod Crossmember on RML2357 was rotten. As it was new looking ali, and not in LT pink primer, it did not look too old, but was bad, and worst of all had filler in it, then had been undersealed.

My bus number (if any): RM13

Re: RM471, London Buses in Blackpool & Manchester, RM102 in Paris, RM13 progress, B frames, Panhard

Sounds like an FFD bodge up on that RML Rob. The panhard beam has always been a weak point on the RMs (along with a lot of the L/S floor). They were changed almost 100% on overhaul (and also on the non dismounted WASP overhaul trials which made these take twice as long as a dismounted body overhaul). The key to success with this is to get plenty of protective paint, LT used a thick yellow treacle like paint on the mating surfaces and inside the beam to stop the corrosion caused by its intercaction with adjoining metal surfaces. I would think by now that a lot of preserved RMs will have seriously deteriorated panhard beams.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RML 2667 and an RMC

Rob - I admire your courage in tackling the B Frame - its not a job for the faint hearted! 1699's B Frame was undertaken by Arriva and took 2 persons the best part of 3 days to complete the job. The bolts were a major problem and even after being soaked overnight, most had to be drilled out.

I believe that all B frames were dealt with as part of the early 90's refurbishment programme but wasn't aware of any additional strengthening that was carried out. But I'm sure someone out there is able to confirm one way or another.

My bus number (if any): RM1699 - Eastbourne Regent V 69

Chris,

I note that you are having problems with the cross member holding the Panard Rod.

As I am sure you are aware to assist any other Routemaster owner discovering the same problem we published what we found on the SDR Website. The specific pages can be found at

http://www.southdevonrailway.org/RouteMaster/Panhard-Rod-Crossmember.html
Our workshops at the SDR are in a position to manufacture the crossmembers if required and supply complete with the correct nuts and bolts. All the contact details can be found on our website .

Regards,

My bus number (if any): RM 1872