ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Gearbox Change

Chris - Was interested to hear the problems you had with your gears that necessitated the change back to manual control. I had a similar problem a few years ago with 2 gears being enaged simultaneously. The cause of the problem was traced a faulty EP unit on the side of the gearbox. One this was changed (for a unit from a DMS!) then the problem was solved.

As a matter of interest are you able to divulge how much Queensbridge are charging for a reconditioned gearbox?

My bus number (if any): RM1699 Eastbourne Regent V 69

Gearbox Change

The EP valve works fine with the wiring as shown. I suspect it is a control unit problem, shame, as I'd like to return to automatic on RM2213, and it worked very well before. The exchange gearbox was £1,450 +VAT with a one year guarantee. Ouch. I wasn't able to get a second hand one from the Routemaster Association despite trying. Any way a rebuilt one with a guarantee is a better option.

My bus number (if any): RM471 and RM2213

Re: Gearbox Change

When I first took delivery of 1699 I only had manual control. After a few months I decided to remove the shorting pin and re-connect the control panel. Unfortunately as soon as I did so, the wiring loom shorted out and the cab was filled with acrid smoke. With some assistance, I managed to re-wire the loom and got the bus on the move again. Ultimately a replacement gear control panel was supplied and fitted by Dave Kreisler and fully automatic gear change was restored.

My bus number (if any): RM1699 - Eastbourne Regent V 69