ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
MOT TEST

Hi all

I've just booked a MOT for the bus and it's now gone up to £114.00 That's
almost a hundred percent increase.

Thank you Mr Darling and Mr Brown, makes you wonder what else is gonna
happen to the Historic vehicle movement from our lords and masters?

It's as though they don't seem to realise that there's an election next
month or don't care.

Wonder how much the car test has gone up by?

Claire

My bus number (if any): BL49

Re: MOT TEST

Well I've just has my bus MOT'd at a cost of £65, which is exactly the same as last year. Don't be too quick to blame the Chancellor as he can't be held responsible for the pricing policy of individual testing stations. I'd suggest that you might point out to the proprieter of the MOT station where you MOT'd your vehicle, that another testing station is charging £65. It seems to me that they're making a hefty mark up!

My bus number (if any): RM1699 - Eastbourne Regent V 69

Hi Claire
It seems from other postings that the price of £114 is not correct for a preserved bus and the correct price is actually £74. which is only £9 more expensive than 2005 when the system wasn't computerised.
"Private Passenger Vehicles & Ambulances - More than 16 passenger seats £74.10

The car fee went up £6 in that time. The fee goes up by the rate of inflation, plus any additional costs incurred by the motor trade for additional equipment and computerisation (there is a payment in the fee to Siemans), its not fixed by the PM or Chancellor. As for talk of elections, you are on the wrong Forum!

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RML 2667 and an RMC

Brian

There does seem to be a variation in charges for MOT's between Stations. The test station I've used since computerisation in 2006 has always charged £65 so the cost has effectively been frozen since then. I note that the cost at the MOT station that I used prior to computerisation in 2005 charged me £63, so allowing for the additional cost, would now be charging somewhere around £75.

So it would appear that I'm getting a good deal where I currently get my vehicles tested. I'd advise Claire to shop around for next time.

My bus number (if any): RM1699 - Eastbourne Regent V 69

I've pasted same posting I have made on another forum.
Current test fees http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/Mot/DG_4022514

Class V MAXIMUM is £74-10 what you have been quoted is for class Va with seatbelts!

MOT fees can only go up after a consultation paper is issued generally every 15 months or so PSV and HGV fees go up together seperatly from motorcycle and car and PRIVATE bus fees again after consultation paper issued.

There is a recently closed consultation about vosa fees going up but as yet no results http://www.dft.gov.uk/consultations/closed/consulvosaservices/

There is a still open consultation out for other MOT fees (incl class V)which is here http://www.dft.gov.uk/consultations/open/mottestfee/ and doesn't close until the end of the month, I haven't read it other than it means a 5.4% increase from 74.10 to 78.something in a couple of months time

Note the fees are the maximum that can be charged - garages/test stations can choose to charge less (my local ministry test station likes to keep admin simple and charges £74 dead for a class V

HTH

Mark

My bus number (if any): RM1414 sort of!

Hiya all

I got back to the London Borough of Waltham Forest who operate the Test Station and after some discussion the fee is now £74 for my bus :-)

Claire

My bus number (if any): BL49