ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Recon Brake accumulators need pumping up before fitting- HELP

Everybody probably knows but me....
When Imperial Engineering recondition Accumulators, they don't come back "pumped up". My assumption was that for over 500 notes the pair, I'd be able to re fit them in half an hour, job done.
Now of course, with the clock ticking I'm dependent yet again on the kindness of other more organised owners to direct me to the nearest Nitrogen refill facility to mid Lincs.Thanks in Advance
Ian

My bus number (if any): RM1842

Re: Recon Brake accumulators need pumping up before fitting- HELP

I'll do it Ian, Can't find you on the phone number you emailed me. Cheers, Chris

My bus number (if any): RM471 and RM2213

Now that's what i call Service.!! Thanks Chris, see you soon, Ian

Ian
Can I be nosey and ask which type of accumulators you had reconditioned? As I have been asked to get 4 done, which we believe are the original lockheed type 3065g 1634, are we looking at £1000? Although we do not pay VAT being VAT registered in France, £250 each is still more than we had been told they would cost, but that was autumn last year.

Thanks
Brian

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RML 2667, an RMC and now RM 1585 as well

Hi Brian. nosiness welcomed. mine are the original lockheed torpedo shaped ones, both done including the cut out valve. I've already misplaced the invoice so I can't be more accurate with the price.I sent the lot off to be on the safe side, not being able to remember which one leaked. I must admit I didn't ask for a quote first and when i phoned the chap who knows (Colin or Clive?)wasn't there to explain what was dicovered. Hope that helps, regards Ian

Thanks Ian
So are they done and priced on a one by one basis? When I spoke to them, as we would have a problem getting them to them in advance to collect at the end of May, they said if they had stock we could have recon'd ones off the shelf. Which suggests a fixed price on those ones. I don't know if you know but from the derawing they sent me, there are 2 types of front and rear torpedo shaped ones respectively. The originals have collars and the later ones (Titan?) smooth tubes. As far as I know the originals with collars are Front 3065 G 1634 and Rear 105156 and the straight tubes are Front VS 80020 and Rear 3065 G 2211 These are Imperial's numbers and not necessarily how LT numbered them. I thought both originals had 3065 G numbers however, I don't think they are interchangeable because of the different threads.

mine are the ones with collars. My information was that there were none in stock, the only choise being to send old ones in. Turn rouind time was quick. I've been told variously that i paid the right amount or upto 3 times to much. The mystery deepens!!!

Ian, did any of those who told you that you had paid too much suggest a) the right price or b) where you could have got them done cheaper? The man who I normally deal with at Imperial is Ken Dakin, but he was not there yesterday, I'll let you know price and arrangements for exchange etc.

That would be far to easy! This is were rumour and chinese whispers (and my memory) take over. The only Person I've been able to speak to at Imperial is james, i think, whose aerea of expertise lies elsewhere. Ken is the man to speak to, or possibly Clive. No one I've spoken to knows reliably any where else to get them, new, used or recon.