ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
RM Part numbers and Modifications

Not sure if anybody is interested, but at one time I used to be the Decoder at Aldenham Works. The main job was to order parts for the repair of buses in the Accident shop from descriptive lists drawn up by inspectors and convert the descriptions into part numbers that could be recognised and issued by the Main Stores. by looking at drawings and parts lists, all of which also had to be kept up to date. This was not an easy task due to the literally hundreds of changes and modifications that were done to the Routemaster over time and the fact that many part numbers were not actually parts that existed. Many are only the numbers given to a complete part of the bus including all fittings transfers and paint, which you cannot get from the stores!!

There was a “before mod” and “after mod” condition of a lot of parts, just think of the cant rail mouldings, - early buses polished aluminium with maroon plastic insert - later buses flat painted mouldings, all with separate part numbers. Add to that a system of “maintenance” part numbers where an assembly was put together to a condition that enabled easy fitment to a bus like a cab door, lower saloon rear frame and the platform, all of which were not assembled completely in the sub assembly shops and sent from the stores to the works and garages in a maintenance condition. If the complete assembly was put together it could not have been fitted to a bus without taking parts off it again to enable fitment. Add to that Repair Schemes and Alteration Advices and having to know which parts had maintenance conditions and which parts made up an assembly and you had a pretty complex job.
Just for fun try these:

1) Why can't you fit an RM 001 FL 1 to your bus?

2 What would you get if you asked for an RF 864 C6 for your running plate holder (it is an RM part) and why would it not be any use to you?

3) What was the difference between an Alteration Advice and a Repair Scheme?

4) What was the difference between an “As and When” and a “Campaign Change”?

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RML 2667, an RMC and now RM 1585 as well

Re: RM Part numbers and Modifications

Brian

In the absence of any answers, I wondered if you were going to set a deadline, after which you will provide the answers. I'd be very interested in finding out!

My bus number (if any): RM1699 - Eastbourne Regent V 69

rf864 one of the side strips that held each end of the plate

As and when........never!!
campaign change ...Join the queue!!

don't know the others

Claire

My bus number (if any): BL49

1) Why can't you fit an RM 001 FL 1 to your bus?

This is alluded to above. RM 001FL1 was the part number of the complete rear frame assembly, with lights, mouldings, shrouds and paint. The maintenance number was I believe RM 076 FL1 and changed when the rear O/S indicator bracket was moved to the right of the O/S pillar. The maintenance item came without paint, lights, waist moulding and top and bottom interior window shrouds which enabled easy fitment of this to the bus, which was a matter of 8 or 10 nuts and bolts.

2 What would you get if you asked for an RF 864 C6 for your running plate holder (it is an RM part) and why would it not be any use to you?

This is the casting for the garage and route number plate holder developed for the refurbished RF and subsequently used on all vehicle types except standard RF and RT. RF 863 C6 is only the base plate without any holding brackets, the assembly was RF 863 C1

3) What was the difference between an Alteration Advice and a Repair Scheme?

An Alteration Advice changed something, a position, material like glass to plastic, metal to wood for fixing handrails on the rear frame, the removal of leather ends on seats, or the position of a bracket like the O/S rear indicator fixing bracket. A repair scheme was a method of repairing a particular part often in situ to avoid lengthy stripping. A classic example is the repair scheme to the No 7 O/S pillar by the battery crate where it is cut if damaged and a replacement length bolted on using metal blocks. There were many in the lower saloon to strengthen the floors including plates screwed down across the floor bars in place of the treadmaster tiles

4) What was the difference between an “As and When” and a “Campaign Change”?

Not quite never Claire, but “As and When” referred to modifications. Alteration Advices were the means by which modifications were carried out. In the case of “As and When”, it was as required, which meant on some buses it was never done.

A “Campaign Change” was a modification or alteration advice to be done urgently usually for safety reasons and often after an incident or operating experience and the point at which it was to be done was laid down in the paperwork, if urgent at next rota inspection if not so urgent at next major (8 or 16) rota.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RML 2667, an RMC and now RM 1585 as well