ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Saturday's Guardian - article on the Routemaster

Just to draw you attention to a very interesting article in Saturdays Guardian by Ian Jack on the Routemaster.

If you didn't manage to see it then check out the Guardian online - www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2008/may/24/london.transport

My bus number (if any): RM1699 - Eastbourne Regent V 69

Saturday's Guardian - article on the Routemaster

Thanks very much Steven.

Guardian article on Routemasters

Just for convenience I've posted a clickable link.

Cheers, Chris

My bus number (if any): RM471 & RM2213

Re: Saturday's Guardian - article on the Routemaster

But what is a Routemaster? You could have a "Routemaster" looking bus on the roads in a short space of time, just build a few FRMs. The appeal to the operator of an RM was reliability, minimum time off the road for maintenance and repairs allowing a smaller spare bus provision.
What s forgotten by many who wax lyrical about a fleet of RMs back on the streets is that the RM was designed in the 1950s to carry 64 people with a conductor, to provide a bus that was both economical to operate and maintain and overhaul in a purpose built factory. In those days before passes a conductor was seen as the most efficient means of fare collection in the days of cash for tickets. In the latter days of the RMs the conductors rarely took a cash fare.
To compare with the Routemaster it would be necessary therefore to have a bus that can be repaired quickly, having units, both body and mechanical, that could be removed and replaced in a couple of hours rather than a couple of days. In order to do this, there would have to be a sufficient number of these vehicles built to warrant the provision of such floats of spares and the building of a facility to stock, supply and repair them. Both Chiswick and Aldenham are long gone.

The Routemaster was designed to be overhauled at a purpose built factory every few years and have a life of at least 20 years. That factory is long gone, buses of today do not have that life expectancy and are run into the ground, so what benefits would a new Routemaster give to London?.

Boris Johnson has reportedly said there will be a competition to design a "new Routemaster" bus for central London. How many buses is that ? Less than 1000 I would suggest. In that case, it would have to be dual purpose and capable of OPO operation in the outskirts and shires to attract customers from other cities and operations.

Lets face it any new design for use only in central London and just to replace the Bendy buses will never be built as it will be too expensive. The new buses now in service could easily replace the Bendy buses if sufficient funds were made available for the capital expenditure for additional buses and the crews. However, is Mr council tax payer from Croydon and his mates in Bromley going to want again to subsidise the central London bus passenger and commuter with his council tax on top of the Olympics? I think not.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RML 2667, an RMC and now RM 1585 as well