ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Moquette Rot

Have come across a strange phenomenon on the moquette front. The bus is stored in a modern barn - some windows open for ventilation - rarely suffer from condensation only when there are sudden temperature changes. Just recently have found a few seats that seem to have suffered some kind of minor rot that disintegrates the moquette pile . The damage seems to be localised in a line around where one cushion touches the other at the back of the base but only on a handful of cushions ? Could this be the result of damp collecting there or some kind of moth etc, ? One area is clearly in full daylight on a relatively new clean cushion ? Is thre an antifungal fabric protector available to prevent this ?

Any thoughts ?

Graham

My bus number (if any): RML2747

Re: Moquette Rot

Graham

Do you mean at the back of the cushions where it touches the bottom of the squab? If so this is simply friction wear where the two surfaces have rubbed anbd may be more prevalent on some seats due to flootr vibration, is it worse on non stanchion seats?. Moquette like any cloth will also rot if left in damp conditions and fade in bright sunlight which will also do no good at all to the foam or dunlopillo under the moquette. If seats are exposed to sunlight its best to cover them.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RML 2667, an RMC and now RM 1585 as well

Brian, thanks for that - I will check the seat positions in relation to the stanchions - in all bar one cases the rot is exactly where the cushions rub each other as you say, bar one patch that is strangely in the middle of a very new looking base - it seems to crumble away if you rub it very odd ?

Graham

Do your seats have leather ends Graham? When the seats and squabs had leather ends this kept the moquette surfaces apart as the leather acted like a spacer, so one thing you could also try is to create a small gap between seat and squab. The squab fixing plates may also have been refitted a little too high and that is forcing the squab down hard on to the cushion and without the leather to act as a spacer they are just rubbing together. Also, if your moquette was placed over old rubber or foam, this may have broken down into powder, its goes like sand, and this is actually “sandpapering” away the back of the moquette and the surface of the touching one.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RML 2667, an RMC and now RM 1585 as well

The squabs don't have leather ends, but will check out the fixing plates as suggested to try and create a bit of a gap between the cushions - many thanks

Graham

This is very interesting and it sounds pretty clear that the cause is not mildew. I found that some of my seats were being affected by condensation coming down the walls (particularly the "Lover's Seat") and now make sure that when not in use those cushions which touch the sides are lifted out of their frames. It would be interesting to hear if anyone knows of an effective mildew (preventative) treatment.

My bus number (if any): RML2302

The stuff rots like mad.
Caused by airborne spores. Wool is very prone to this.
Also a type of moth is causing havoc in parts of the UK and again produces rot like symptoms on cloth.

The spores seem to thrive inside the fabric and the dunlopillo foam.

I've tried a few tests on some seats for a friends RT.
What works is fitting a breathable membrane between the foam and the moquette.

I've used thin roofing grade Tyvek which is less like paper than the bus blind grade, more like a fabric and easy to work with.
A pin pricked polythene and a bin liner.
So far all 4 treated have no signs of rot.
4 others we treated with moth and damp repellent, and scotchguard.
They are not too bad either.
The untreated are showing rot signs.
The upper deck now has mothballs placed in bowls under the seats and moisture absorbing crystals will be tried this winter.

We are also going to pre-soak some light polyester sheets in mould retarder and will place these over all the seats this coming winter.
Dark colour sheets also prevent the moquette fading.

My bus number (if any): none at present

if you still have the same problem send a picture to me so i can see what the actual problem is

My bus number (if any): n/a