ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cost of Conversion

I bought RM238 last month, it was advertised as ‘Spares or Repair’ on a well known auction site. I bought it with RM13 in mind as RM238 has an early body, number 133, but It’s far too good to scrap - apart from the original conversion it has not been mucked about with.

It had been outside for a couple of years, not good as it’s a half-open top. It has its AEC engine, original grill, lights, indicators etc., etc. It had a corroded wire in the control box and an injector pipe was broken. Once they were sorted the engine fired up straight away and runs as sweet as a nut!

I have just been looking through the paperwork that came with the bus, I have the original invoice from London Buses Limited and an invoice for the conversion also from London Buses Limited, The bus cost £6,900.00 plus the cost of conversion - a staggering £18,262.00, and that was back in 1988. That seems like a lot of money.

I guess it will join the queue to be sorted after RM13 and RT4628..

Rob Duker

Re: Cost of Conversion

Sounds like it could be a twin of 742 which i had an interest in some years ago. I was amazed that companies for promo purposes would spend £thousands, do very few miles and a few years later, when the novelty and shiny paint has worn off, be in a scrap yard for, well, scrap prices.
RM742 is nearing completion, half open top camper, very nice....

My bus number (if any): 1842