ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Maroon/Burgundy/Dark Red/ RM paint

Hi All

Has anyone any info knowledge of a supply and order numbers of the paint used for the RM staircase and other metal fixings used on the RM interior.

I have found two references:

Goodlass Wall 1251/1062 LT17438
KALON 4133-A-003

and neither of these two mean anything to our paint supplier.

The various web sites list paint things but seem very short on details and codes for the Maroon which seems to have various names as well.

Can any one help please

Claire

My bus number (if any): BL49 / RML2330

Re: Maroon/Burgundy/Dark Red/ RM paint

I'm using HMG Paints Ltd, Manchester's SAH300 Fleet enamel, LT Maroon 704098SL Semi gloss for RM2213. It looks very good and is what the LTT's BusWorks use very succesfully on their restorations, including My RM471.

All the paint codes for the paint they use at BusWorks is on their website click here and follow the links to the Routemaster extras page.

There is some other very useful stuff there as well.

My bus number (if any): RM471 & RM 2213

Hiya Chris

Ta for the info and having now looked at the Bus Works site i'm impressed.

Claire

My bus number (if any): BL49 / RML2330

Claire/Chris,
One of the Buswork's painters emailed me some codes , the one he gave me for the maroon paint was as follows : Maroon semi-gloss SAH300 type, ANAP 80401952 which seems to differ from your code Chris , perhaps the Busworks needs asking again to confirm which code is correct

Cheers
Mark

My bus number (if any): RML2391

LT specification 17438 Becker (Goodlass Wall) of Liverpool (company still exists but whether they still do coach enamel http://www.beckers-bic.com/BIC/bicweb.nsf/key/home ) ref 151/1062 Dark Burgandy GLOSS is not semi -gloss or satin.(numbers quoted off two 25+ year old tins of same that I now have)
Your staircase & stringer and lower saloon bench seat foot stools and u/sal emergency exit were originally gloss. The areas where rexine was originally would have been painted in semi gloss or satin at repair/later overhaul.
BusWorks management made the decision (although it is not a true or correct restoration)to paint staircases semi gloss and the paint used was BS381C colour 452 being probably the nearest BS colour to match.
The codes given to you refers to the HMG job number and that will change every year or so as they only keep job numbers on file for a set period and will renumber them on a paint re-order, first number is last number of year, next two numbers is the month (July = 07) and the last numbers are the job number of that month.
I can highly recommend their paint, the SAH 300 is a very good brushing paint with superb flow characteristics but be aware that reds, maroons and greens can suffer from poor opacity, which means that it may take 3 or 4 coats of gloss to get good equal coverage, it is best to use a neutral undercoat/primer that is lighter than the gloss
Also the 'Sung Yellow' quoted is the nearest BS colour to match (from BS4800 i think)as the original panel at front behind bulkhead advert/screen was impractical to remove to get spectrally colour matched.

Mark P

My bus number (if any): RM1414