ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fuel bugs

Having read the 'Fuel Costs' thread, and owning a historic narrow boat that gets re-fuelled once every few years, I was interested in the Bio-diesel comment.

Some research is being carried out on known organisms that thrive on diesel and water within, and might be of interest to owners/operators. A recent email:

Derek,

Thank you for the email, it's rather interesting. Bio-diesel is something we are yet to embark into but I think it's likely to be the next step. Don't know if you want to pass this onto your group or not....The problems aren't just with bio-diesel; it's a common problem with crude oil derived diesel too. There is a wide range of organisms (bacteria, yeast and moulds) that are able to live in fuel tanks using the diesel as a food-source. As they grow they can form thick layers of biomass on the base of the fuel-tank which then can be disrupted and lead to blockages in the filters and the engine itself, naturally leading to running problems. If heavy bacterial contamination occurs it can also lead to the creation of a fuel-water emulsion, here again feeding into the engine leading to engine disruption and increased corrosion. On top of this if anaerobic conditions are formed (quite possible if there is fungal contamination or if the boat is unused for a while) bacteria known as SRBs can begin to colonise and due to the way they break down the fuel to derive energy this can (rather simplified) lead to greatly enhanced direct corrosion of the fuel tank itself, sometimes millimetres into the metal. This may not seem a great deal but if growth becomes localised it can lead to holes in the inside layers of the fuel tank, not what you want.

This is why we are making this test! If you want to check out our website its www.conidia.com. If you want me to try to point you in the direction of more reading I will (but most is papers and books but I can look things up for you).

Zara Cook

My bus number (if any): None, but occasionally drives RF308

Re: Fuel bugs

Hi all,

Disturbing reading, is there any way that this problem can be prevented using propriety additives or or it something to have to live with.

Claire

My bus number (if any): BL49 / RML2330

Re: Fuel bugs

I think any worry should be minimal, and only if a tank has been left dormant for long periods. The number of instances of bugs actually being a problem seem to be very few and far between. I've not heard of any additives that would stop or retard it, just the research mentioned.