ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pyramid Nosing

Can anyone point me in the right direction for some 'Pyramid Nosing', I think that's what they call it. Its the metal edges for the stairs on an RM.

Many Thanks

Rob

Re: Pyramid Nosing

Rob

These people do the three row tread but not sure if they do the nosing, http://www.fhbrundle.com/flor-nos.htm
They say that they are trade only but I'm sure they might be able to help with a supply or a list of customers/retail suppliers. If you can get the nosing tread it can be heat bent without too much trouble you just have to do it slowly round a pattern (like a pipe bender) and prevent kinking on the corners. Best of Luck
Brian

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RML 2667, an RMC and now RM 1585 as well

What Brian has indicated is indeed the nosing rather than the flat tread, the picture isn't really shot from the right angle to reflect this, I think that the flat bar pyramid tread is 31-32mm wide rather than the 35mm as indicated with this item

Mark

My bus number (if any): RM1414

I am now sorted out regarding Pyramid Nosing, For info this is where I bought it.

Lipped Pyramid Nosing,sold in 3mtr lengths, from F R Powell of Bristol, tel.. 0117 9717971. Cost £9.20 for a 3mtr length.

Non Lipped Pyramid Nosing, sold in 3mtr lengths, from F H Brundle, Rainham, Essex. tel.. 01708 253545. Cost £9.08 for a 3mtr length.

I will now try and form it round the bottom step, I will keep you posted.

Rob

Hi Rob,

we need to replace them as well, how did it work and what color has the nosing you bought from them?

Thanks!
Tonia

My bus number (if any): RML2386

Rob,
If you have got the edging , any chance of bringing a sample to the 'meet' on Sun ?

Cheers

Mark

My bus number (if any): RML2391

Tonia
Hi Rob,

we need to replace them as well, how did it work and what colour has the nosing you bought from them?

Thanks!
Tonia

Tonia, its unlikely that you have pyramid nosing on your RML. Pyramid nosing is steel plate with small pyramids of steel on it See here:
http://www.fhbrundle.com/flor-nos.htm
You can use this on your RML as this is the original spec, it was screwed on with counter sunk screws and painted the same colour as the stairs. After refurbishment, the RML had a different type of nosing fitted to the stairs and entrance step into lower saloon, this is available from the RMOOA and is called sharks tooth nosings.

My bus number (if any): RMC 1458, RM 1585, RTL 960 and 15 RTs

I wonder if Tonia is referring to the steps in front of the long seat. My refurb(London Central, refurbished by South Yorkshire Transport) has pyramid edging there (which was rotted through on one corner). She also has shark's tooth nosings on the platform and stairs.

My bus number (if any): RML2302

Good point Brian, I don't know if you know, but Brundle's also have a depot at Haydock, which is just south of Manchester.

FH Brundle - North West
Unit 8 Haydock Lane
Haydock Industrial Estate
Haydock, St Helens
WA11 9XE

tel: 01942 86 88 88

Went there to get some RTL radiator grille section recently, quite easy to find and very helpful people

My bus number (if any): RMC 1458, RM 1585, RTL 960 and 15 RTs