ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Windscreen rubber spec

Anyone know the spec for the rubber used on windscreens? Not the external rubber, I need the one that goes around the glass when it beds into the frame. The only ones I have here do not have any rubber as they are perspex and the rubber has been excluded so no pattern to use. I am assuming it can be obtained from Baines or Woollies but I need to know the right thickness.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RML 2667, RM 1585, RMC 1458 and 14 RTs

Re: Windscreen rubber spec

Never seen an inner rubber for the glass only the outer frame seals.
Having replaced quite a few, I was supplied stuff called 'pressfix' or 'pressfit' for years.

It is a soft black mastic type strip that is about 2mm thick. 70mm wide

I used to fold it over the glass so the edge is covered and leave about 30mm each side. Leaving the backing tape on though.
I removed the tape on the outer and slide the glass in so it sticks and seals on all the inner frame faces.

Then slide the glass back out, remove the inner tape and fit the glass.
The surplus is trimmed off with a knife.

it seals watertight and the outer edge dries and hardens slightly after several weeks looks like rubber.

I believe TEX do a similar product

Did a google and could not find anything like pressfit ot fix Jack. There was a rubber or should be a rubber in the screens, I just need to know the thickness, width not important as that can be trimmed. It might just be the same spec as that for the glass in the emergency windows, I have a couple here so I'll see what was used in those.

It sounds as though you have the later, refurb windscreen, as I have, not the early type. The rubber is U section, 1- 1.5mm wall thickness, 9mm overall width and 6mm deep. If you find a match, let me know, my screen frame is out at the moment for a glass change also due to moisture ingress between the laminated panes.

My bus number (if any): RM531

I am hoping that the rubber from an RT is the same as that used in the RMs, Steve. On the RT it is quite a deep channel and the overall width of the rubber is 25mm. The rubber I found to use as a sample was in an RT screen and that turned out to be 1mm thick and 25mm wide, going into a U shape.

The closest I can find to a match is from Woolies who sent me some samples and they do a 50mm wide 1mm thick strip, I suppose you could cut it in half but that is a lot of messing about over a 2.5 metres length which is the length of rubber to do a top screen, I would rather trim the rubber after fitment, I am hoping that the RMs screens have the same rubber, they are 200 miles away so I cannot check but only RML 2667 might have a later type screen, the RM and RMC are both original condition.

Brian
Having just done my screen, the rubber is available from C O H Baines. There are two sizes, IRS 0270 and IRS 0271 (the catalogue is online). 271 has deeper sides, approx 10 mm deep, 270 has sides of about 5mm deep. I used the deeper sided stuff as it seemed to go together better, then trimmed off the excess. Fiddly job though!

Thanks Steve, that looks like a close match to the RT rubber as well, any idea of the cost of the ISR 270? Unfortunately its too late to get any frm Baines now as I am off today to do the screens and hopefully the strip rubber from Woolies will be there already, but its good to know for next time.

As a guide 271 cost £3.17 per metre, I bought 3 metres which allowed roughly 400mm for wastage and trimming. Be warned, refitting the glass to the frame is quite fiddly and a tight fit, not sure how it compares to the RT! Plenty of lube and a plastic hammer to tap into position. My frame seems to have distoted a couple of thou in the reassembly too, it doesn't quite close properly now and catches the O/S bottom corner of the cab frame so a bit of playing around is called for to get it to sit true. Looks like the only adjustment in the hinges is in/out at the top rather than the required left/right positioning so it could be fun.
Such a worthwhile and important job, nothing worse than opaque glass around the edges due to moisture ingress between the laminate, or worse, cracks across the bottom corners. Yet you see so many suffering this, waiting for the MOT to pull it up when it gets really bad.