ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Routemaster in Europe

Hello, I am working for EF Education First and am driving the Routemaster on the EF European Tour 2008/9.
This started in Finland and at present the bus is in Luxembourg and having a repair done to the rear braking system. After this I go to Brussels and Antwerp and then to Vienna, followed by Slovakia all before Christmas. We are doing promotions in the various cities, and it is quite a tough programme for such an elderly vehicle, but I have formed a real bond with our bus. It's a return to old times for me, I used to drive for Southdown on the PD 3's etc. Best regards, Steve.

My bus number (if any): RM 1398

Re: Routemaster in Europe

Are you going to pass through Germany Steve? If so, plan your route carefully, there are still a number of bridges on the German Autobahns that are not high enough for a Routemaster and there is little advanced warning on some of them. 4 metres only is the normal height for vehicles although most autobahn bridges are now 4.5 metres, there are still a few that have not been raised. When I went to Dortmund I could not have got back to Luxembourg without a long detour because of the low bridges on the A1 and A2. Best of luck with your journey.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RML 2667, RM 1585, RMC 1458 and 14 RTs

Re: Routemaster in Europe

Hello Brian, I have already passed through Germany on my way to Holland, I did use some of the A1 around the Hamburg Bremen area. For a lot of the route to Holland I went off the Autobahn because I was getting some grief from a few of the German truck drivers due to the slow pace I was travelling at. 60kmh is the minimum allowed on the Autobahn and I can just keep to that speed usually, but when it's busy getting back in the flow of traffic after fuelling up etc is a bit of a pain. Have to do more Germany when I leave Belgium on my way to Vienna, but hope for good luck! Love the Routemaster though, it's doing pretty well for something that was not designed for what I am doing with it.
All the best to you,
Steve.

My bus number (if any): RM 1398