ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
LT60 summer jackets and coats

LT60 summer uniform

Hi Everyone

At long long last after many trials and tribulations I am so very happy to announce that the LT60 Central and Country summer uniform jackets and coats are finally available to order for those who would like them.

There have been quite a few problems and obstacles to overcome and there were times that it never looked as though it would ever happen but it has, the patterns are cut and the cloth has been made and dyed and the experience gained with the production of the LT70 summer uniform has enabled the production team to iron out the snags and glitches before they occur.

Some production changes have been made and the ordering system has been changed too. RLG are now the sole manufacturer, I so wanted to change that name to RLH but they wouldn’t let me, and all the ordering and progress chasing will be through the East London Traction Society via me. This we hope will speed up the ordering and production of the garments.

LT60 Summer uniform coats and jackets for Drivers and Conductors of London Transport Buses, Coaches and Trolleybuses are now available to order from the East London Traction Society.
(Contact and Order details below)

In the period of this style of summer uniform issue Drivers were issued with Coats and Conductors were issued with Jackets, there was, officially, no choice for platform staff although Drivers would swap with Conductors or persuade the nice friendly Uniform issue staff to let them have a jacket instead of a coat.

Drivers were men only L and Conductors were both sexes. The drivers coats are ‘Double breasted’ and therefore in these ‘Enlightened’ days coats can be worn by either Women or Men drivers J.

Women’s Conductor’s jackets will be available soon

Drivers coats were made and issued in a long (Calf length) fitting and most drivers had their coats shortened to ‘Knee length’. The practical reason for this being that the coat caught on and got in the way of the handbrake when getting in and out of the cab of the then current RT family buses.. Long coats will be available for those who would like them but please be aware that you won’t find out that they have got caught on the brake lever until your half way to the ground and unable to stop when you get out of the cab. Please be aware of this if you prefer a long coat.

Drivers coats require 8 chrome buttons and jackets require 3 chrome buttons for Men and 4 for Women. and these will be supplied with your garment by RLG Heritage who will also send you the final invoice for payment when your garment(s) are ready for dispatch by RLG Heritage direct to you.

There are four different types of summer coat/jacket available for the 50’s/60’s Country Bus & Coach uniform, which is coded, LT60 Country, and these are:

LT60 Country Dvr coat (Short style) Country buses & Coaches (Green buses)

LT60 Country Dvr coat (Long style) Country buses & Coaches (Green buses)

LT60 Country Conductor Jacket Country buses & Coaches (Green buses)

LT60 Country W/Conductor Jacket TO BE AVAILABLE SOON

The LT60 Country uniform is a plain grey coat or jacket with green collar and cuffs suitable for all types of LT Country Buses and Coaches where the set period is the 50’s or 60’s.

The Women’s jackets are plain grey for the same period, no green collar or cuffs

LT60 type of uniform was still being worn by some LCBS platform staff in the 70’s.

There are four different types of summer coat/jacket available for the 50’s/60’s Central Buses and Trolleybuses uniform, which is coded, LT60 Central, and these are:

LT60 Central Dvr coat (Short style) Central buses (Red buses) and Trolleybuses

LT60 Central Dvr coat (Long style) Central buses (Red buses) and Trolleybuses

LT60 Central Conductor Jacket Central buses (Red buses) and Trolleybuses

LT60 Central W/Conductor Jacket TO BE AVAILABLE SOON

The LT60 Central Buses uniform is a plain grey coat or jacket with blue collar and cuffs suitable for all types of LT Central Buses and Trolleybuses where the set period is the 50’s or 60’s.

The Women’s jackets are plain grey for the same period, no blue collar or cuffs

LT60 type of uniform was still being worn by some platform staff in the 70’s.

NB CENTRAL ROAD SERVICES DEPT was later known as CENTRAL BUSES after the premature untimely demise of the Trolleybus fleet in the early 60’s

To order your coat/jacket please telephone, Email or write to the ELTS (Claire Green)
(The full contact details are on this information sheet below.)

ELTS will then send you a SELF MEASUREMENT FORM for you to complete. Please make sure that you include your name, address and phone number along with the code for the type of garment that you require and return the completed form to the ELTS along with your deposit (Cheque payable to RLG). In the event of any problems or queries the ELTS will telephone you. Please feel free to phone Claire if you need to.

Your coat or jacket will be made for you by RLG Heritage Uniforms according to the measurements given on the self measurement form so it is essential that you get these measurements correct. You will find it easier to complete the form if you have someone helping you. Ladies please don’t forget your Hip measurement

The cost per garment is £88.00+p&p and the initial deposit is £30 (Cheque payable to RLG) and the balance payable on invoice from RLG which will be sent to you when your garment is ready for dispatch direct from RLG to you.

Contact details for the ELTS (Who will handle all ordering, enquiries and progress chasing:)

EAST LONDON TRACTION SOCIETY
40 St Andrews Road
Oxhey Estate
WATFORD WD19 7UB
Herts

TELEPHONE 020 8421 5118

EMAIL claire74880@ntlworld.com

Some further points:

Because all the heritage uniform is ‘Made to measure’ it is also possible to supply smaller sizes for children and young people in both LT60 and LT70 styles should they be required, but unfortunately as the same amount of work is needed to make each garment irrespective of size the price will be the same as adult sizes.

Washing. These uniforms are made of the same cotton materials as used in the originals and therefore the same problems of the past are very much with us today.

When first washed the colour WILL ‘run’ so don’t wash them with anything else. It usually takes 2 or 3 washes to be rid of the excess dye colour. DON’T use a hot wash because the uniform WILL shrink if you do, A cool wash and spin and then iron DAMP and put the jacket on a hanger to finish dry. With each wash the colour will fade, very noticeable at first but becoming much less so with subsequent washing. ALWAYS REMOVE YOUR BUTTONS BADGES ETC. BEFORE WASHING AND IRONING.

Regards

Claire Green (East London Traction Society)

My bus number (if any): RML2330 etc.

Re: LT60 summer jackets and coats

Click here to see some pictures of the replica jacket I received just in time for Christmas.

My bus number (if any): RM471 & RM 2213

The description seems rather complex and even as an LT man cannot recall what was what when.

Hi Jack

I'm surprised that you can't remenber the summer uniform that you had to wear as platform staff with LT. Enquiries are delt with by these contacts:-

TELEPHONE 020 8421 5118

EMAIL claire74880@ntlworld.com

and I'm sure your problems will be solved

Regards

Claire

My bus number (if any): RML2330 etc.

Us engineers never had a uniform as such, protective boots and some overalls
which I hated and a foreman's coat. All I had was an LT tie and a pin badge.

No. Sorry. I can't remember what the crews wore when. Hence the question.
Your descriptions are great but I can't really visualise them hence why I wondered if a set of new pictures exist.

Talking at a meeting yesterday, I gather I'm not alone in being somewhat confused.
Some of us are getting old and most of us are only experts in our domains.
I could not tell a button from 1960 form a button from 1980, but a type of rivet or a grade of alloy? Easy!
But for others it's easier to show them with a sketch or a photo. This is what I did when training others. Primarily to ward off bodges.

I think this is the same with the uniforms. Pictures would be perfect.

Happy New Year to all

John.