ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Routemaster in Europe (update)

My last report was from Luxembourg when I had a rear wheel brake cylinder replaced. Since then I have done promotions in Belgium, Austria and Slovakia before Christmas. Slovakia was a problem because many of the roads have overhanging trees, trimming them back does not seem to be done, so care was certainly needed, but I loved the country and people. Bus is at present in Switzerland where it's having the other three cylinders replaced, because I suffered another leak from the drivers side front one whilst up in the mountains of Austria and I didn't want to keep "risking it!" The cylinders were from Imperial and I asked a relative to send them over. The bus is being repaired by "Londag" in Bassersdorf near Zurich. The couple running Londag are wonderful people, complete enthusiasts and a real boon to me! They have a couple of superb Routemasters there, and I know they will do a great job for us. The tour continues in Switzerland now, German, French and Italian parts of the country.
Best regards, Steve.

My bus number (if any): RM 1398

Re: Routemaster in Europe (update)

How easy is it to get around Europe with respect to bridges and other overhead road furniture?

I've not yet found a decent listing for the minimum standard bridge height of the various European countries.

My bus number (if any): RML2391

Re: Routemaster in Europe (update)

As far as I know there is not a listing for minimum bridge heights in the countries of Europe. The answer to your question of how it is to travel through Europe in the Routemaster as regards bridges etc. is that it is stressful! As a general rule bridges on motorways have a minimum of 4 metres clearance, but that is not in all countries. Once off the motorways it is necessary to really watch things, even in big cities I found some of 3.5 metres and less, Amsterdam has some low ones, a few German cities also, and Slovakia had plenty to beware of in addition to the tree problem. Our Routemaster has had its actual roof taken off, what happens with Routemasters I have seen is that the roof is cut off and a "cover" is made for it, sometimes it can be raised up like a camping car type thing. Then the height is generally 4 metres, which is quite enough thank you. The fact is that anyone who was used to driving double deckers even in GB will always keep an eye on things like overhanging lamp posts etc.

My bus number (if any): RM 1398